Med school on the fast track: A 3-year degree

What do you think the chances are of getting accepted if I apply while still in PA school? I know I would love being a PA, but all the talk of some day reaching ceilings has me majorly contemplating at least giving the application process a shot. The 3-year/PBL track sounds so tempting. Would a PA fresh out of school have a didactic advantage?

What do you think the chances are of getting accepted if I apply while still in PA school? I know I would love being a PA, but all the talk of some day reaching ceilings has me majorly contemplating at least giving the application process a shot. The 3-year/PBL track sounds so tempting. Would a PA fresh out of school have a didactic advantage?

There comes a time in life where we need to throw the dice. you are obviously young enough where you do not need to commit until you have more knowledge of where the winds are blowing your sail. I have seen medical students graduate and then realize that this was not the career for them. I have seen roughly 1.5% of the PA profession move to attending an MD/DO program. PAs need to desire this profession with all of their hearts yet people go to the altar and make vows that change 53% of the time. I can't be rigid on this issue and encourage you to search yourself and look at the journey and where it will bring you and at what cost. Good luck on your contemplation.

Warmly,

Bob Blumm

There comes a time in life where we need to throw the dice. you are obviously young enough where you do not need to commit until you have more knowledge of where the winds are blowing your sail. I have seen medical students graduate and then realize that this was not the career for them. I have seen roughly 1.5% of the PA profession move to attending an MD/DO program. PAs need to desire this profession with all of their hearts yet people go to the altar and make vows that change 53% of the time. I can't be rigid on this issue and encourage you to search yourself and look at the journey and where it will bring you and at what cost. Good luck on your contemplation.

Warmly,

Bob Blumm

Warmly,

Bob Blumm

Such wonderful advice. As I prepare to begin PA school, this really resonates with me and my journey. I wish someone had said this to my face a couple of years ago.

Warmly,

Bob Blumm

Such wonderful advice. As I prepare to begin PA school, this really resonates with me and my journey. I wish someone had said this to my face a couple of years ago.

Thats one of the issues. ACGME has a proposal out that after 2014 to enter an ACGME fellowship you have to have completed an ACGME residency. So if you did an osteopathic residency you won't be able to participate in fellowships. There are (as far as I can tell) no Osteopathic Vascular or IR programs and eight Pulm/CC programs (although some appear to be dormant). So you are looking at pretty long odds to do anything but primary care.

If you do this program yes it is true you will have to complete an osteopathic residency but there are residencies that are dual accredited programs. You will fulfill the program's requirement of completing an osteopathic residency and be able to do a fellowship if so desired

Also keep in mind we haven't yet heard the final word on the ACGME proposal...supposed to be by the end of this month though. AOA is actively fighting this to the point of legal involvement if necessary.

If you do this program yes it is true you will have to complete an osteopathic residency but there are residencies that are dual accredited programs. You will fulfill the program's requirement of completing an osteopathic residency and be able to do a fellowship if so desired

I grad in 2010 and applied in 2011 with a year of experience i start this august i do however think the problem is i was on the fence on which route to go i like being a PA but my heart was always to become a doctor. I just got intimidated by the classes and the mcat and my college advisor was no help at all. So i see this as an awesome opportunity. You are already in PA school so make sure you know what you want and if you apply Dr. K is a very nice person he will work with you.

Also keep in mind we haven't yet heard the final word on the ACGME proposal...supposed to be by the end of this month though. AOA is actively fighting this to the point of legal involvement if necessary.

i hope it will not go throught i really dont mind doing aoa residency i just hope to do a fellowship after :0

I think it would be a better idea to open up med schools to kids without college degrees. Go to college for 2 years and take pre-reqs, then go to med school.

I think it would be a better idea to open up med schools to kids without college degrees. Go to college for 2 years and take pre-reqs, then go to med school.

just because it works everywhere else in the world doesn't mean it will work here.....:)

so how do they differentiate a PA applicant to med school vs a college kid. How does it affect the pre-req? take it all over again? or the classes taken as PA will suffice? confusions. i am in the same state as you are, heck i havent even started PA school, forget abt applying to med school. :-_-:

I grad in 2010 and applied in 2011 with a year of experience i start this august i do however think the problem is i was on the fence on which route to go i like being a PA but my heart was always to become a doctor. I just got intimidated by the classes and the mcat and my college advisor was no help at all. So i see this as an awesome opportunity. You are already in PA school so make sure you know what you want and if you apply Dr. K is a very nice person he will work with you.

so how do they differentiate a PA applicant to med school vs a college kid. How does it affect the pre-req? take it all over again? or the classes taken as PA will suffice? confusions. i am in the same state as you are, heck i havent even started PA school, forget abt applying to med school. :-_-:

Archived