Fit for the PA profession?

Hello everyone. I just need some input on my dilemma. I'm currently a college sophomore, and up until this semester I was set on becoming a PA. But now, I realize that I don't know if I can handle the profession. This may sound silly, but I'm awfully scared of blood and all that gory stuff... but hopefully, I'll be able to endure that as I grow older. Another issue is that I don't know if I have the "problem-solving" skills needed with becoming a PA. For one, I'm pretty good at memorizing concepts for my academic courses, but I struggle with applying those concepts and making decisions based on them. Is this sometime that I will eventually acquire over time as I get more exposure to the PA field? But, I am very hardworking and will work to be better at this skill. I just get this vibe that people cannot be shaped to be good PAs...

I don't want to go into a field that I won't be successful at... and might look into pharmacy instead... but I just wanted some professional advice. Thank you!

• Administrator

Whom have you shadowed? What sorts of health care experience have you engaged in already?

My decision (as an EMT-Basic) to pursue PA vs. Paramedic was made in the operating suite, when I was on a medical missions trip, when I realized I *could* handle surgery... and found it fascinatingly cool to boot. So, don't give up if you haven't really been exposed to the environment about which you're currently apprehensive.

But do be sure to get good, real-world experience on top of your academics while you're at it.

I'm sorry but Pharmacy won't be any easier than PA, it is a hard profession as well. I think you could really benefit from getting a job... You will find that pretty much no matter where you go and what you do... you will have responsibilities, you will need to be able to think critically and solve problems, and you need to gain confidence to be able to work with people and to do your job.

As for the blood and glory, it does get easier with time and exposure. And you don't always have to be exposed to that... that's the beauty of different specialties.

I think it's great that you're already considering this field as a college sophmore, you have plenty of time to explore the field and make an informed decision. As posted above, blood and gore will only be a major part of certain specialties, although you may have considerable difficulty in some of your rotations if you can't perform under such conditions. I quickly found out I had no problem with those things by shadowing in the er and seeing some trauma and watching some surgery. I agree with the above post, you should do some shadowing or get a job that will help you make your decision. As far as problem solving, if you truly are diligent and committed you will be successful as long as you always ask questions and strive to learn.

Not everyone is born with it. If you truly want to be a PA then you will accept the challenges that come with it. Good luck in your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

It's wonderful that you're thinking critically about whether this is the right choice for you. Here are my two cents:

1. Get some real-world healthcare experience. Volunteer in a hospital, become a CNA (certified nursing assistant) - do anything that brings you into contact with patients. You'll never really know if you are just mildly disgusted by body fluids or if you are genuinely unable to be around them unless you try. If you talk to a lot of healthcare professionals, many have their "thing" - that one thing that makes them just "Uggghhhnnnhhh!!!" and get creeped out. Mine is lumbar punctures. You can bleed, puke, or anything else; I've seen most things that can come out of a human body. But LPs just give me the creeps and make my skin crawl. So I know this, and I face them. One tough, war-veteran nurse I worked with couldn't stand crepitation (sound broken bones make when they rub together); he had seen combat, but that sound would send him running. Lots of folks have issues with mucus or nasogastric tube contents. But the burning question is: can you master yourself and your "thing" enough to still do your job effectively? You won't know unless you try, and the best way to try is to get boots-on-the-ground experience. Plus, if you decide PA is for you, those HCE will be helpful!

2. As far as the problem-solving skills, that can be an acquired skill. Perhaps this is something to work toward?

Good luck, whatever you choose!

I agree with everyone. I think you should do as much shadowing as possible in as many different fields as possible. One question you will continuously come across is "why do you want to become a PA"... you may want to explore how you would answer that and why you decided that becoming a PA was what you wanted to pursue in the first place. You are young, and there are so many different fields out there and shadowing will be extremely helpful in deciding what area you would like to pursue... If you like the health-care field, but the patient interactions and/or the blood makes you uneasy, you can always consider a degree in health care management or can go into Medical Device sales or can work in research. The possibilities are endless, and you don't really see all the careers available while in college unless you actively research it. When I was in college, I just picked a degree because I found the coursework interesting, and didn't shadow anyone in that particular field. Looking back I wish I had truly explored all the different types of jobs out there, and what I could realistically see myself doing every single day. Shadowing would have been extremely helpful for me as I am finally now just starting PA school. Best of Luck!

Start volunteering in the ER, STAT. You're cure awaits you there ... no time for queasiness, gotta just get 'er done. That being said, there are students who pass out in their Surgery rotations haha ... your Surgeons will be aware of you at all times, trust me there. Watch as many gory movies as you can! Then it'll just be old hash.

Archived