GPA Calculation

In my freshman year of college at a state university, I took an honors quantitative chemistry course. Since general chemistry was highly impacted, the chemistry department created an exam for incoming freshman. It allowed for them to be placed in the honors quantitative chemistry course and upon completion would count as a whole year of general chemistry.

On my transcript it does say HON QUANT CHEM but I don't know how CASPA will classify this course since it was considered an "honors" course in college. I am hoping it doesn't count towards my sGPA because I didn't do well.

Will this count towards my sGPA? I know CASPA has a list of science classes but honors courses are not listed on there.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

1 hour ago, ChristineQLe said:

it will count as your science GPA and also your chemistry GPA  caspa Will give you an option to mark it as an honors course

Thank you! I was hoping it didn't count because it was 5 units and really bringing down my sGPA, guess I'll have to work on bringing it up. 😭

Thank you! I was hoping it didn't count because it was 5 units and really bringing down my sGPA, guess I'll have to work on bringing it up. [emoji24]

Do well ! Caspa averages out the two attempts. One two three bad grades won't hurt you don't worry. Some pa schools allow grade replacements (Western in pomona) Make the best of the journey :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

Do well ! Caspa averages out the two attempts. One two three bad grades won't hurt you don't worry. Some pa schools allow grade replacements (Western in pomona) Make the best of the journey 🙂

I wish I could retake this course but it was over 12 years ago at state university I no longer attend. I am unsure if I retook a non-honors course with the same title if CASPA would average or schools would consider replacing my grade? (for schools that do grade replacements).

I wish I could retake this course but it was over 12 years ago at state university I no longer attend. I am unsure if I retook a non-honors course with the same title if CASPA would average or schools would consider replacing my grade? (for schools that do grade replacements).

you can ace it at a community college caspa still averages out both grades- and it will show up on science and overall and chemistry gpa some pa schools still have a separate worksheet and consider grade replacements but they still get your verified transcripts thru CASPA

even if you got academic renewal and the school “renews” the F- not sure if academic renewal applies to Ds or Cs.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, NorCalRocky said:

You could still retake the course at a community college and it'll most likely be a non honors course on a separate transcript. Caspa will still average both grades and it'll show up on a verified pdf post submitting under chemistry/Science gpa. 

Caspa doesn't replace but some schools will thru their own separate system /supplemental worksheets

CASPA doesn't specifically average your repeated courses together - they just count every course you take as a completely separate course, repeated or not, so doing well in any other course will help alleviate the impact of a poor grade.

That said, whether a particular PA program will take the higher mark is up to them.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 3:22 PM, Allegro said:

CASPA doesn't specifically average your repeated courses together - they just count every course you take as a completely separate course, repeated or not, so doing well in any other course will help alleviate the impact of a poor grade.

That said, whether a particular PA program will take the higher mark is up to them.

Thank you for clarifying this. I’ve been seeing people say that CASPA averages grades a lot recently on here and I didn’t think that was true. Retaking a course is absolutely no different than taking another class of equal credits/hours as far as calculating the gpa number. While it may “look” better to take additional class rather than to repeat courses that fulfill the minimum requirements, nothing gets averaged. This might not make a big difference for a lot of people, but if you are borderline for meeting program minimums for gpa then it can certainly hurt you if you calculate your gpa by averaging retakes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://files.mtstatic.com/site_9264/2885/1?Expires=1558892562&Signature=BZPvPlmjsEo3GOI1mul7U8VxL2H3f5a0gUP9XkIexkdSE7LI2L3TAZwVwG7YeBb1Dnck8uYc8YfsJYxd2cgE8VVTIQ9SWVVhUFajTf8WxbJHP3tgOKNwHz2CS7esORzGCGD3cYSzJgCCJqxDauzHm~Jv0tjaw~jretsVhx~isd4_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJ5Y6AV4GI7A555NA click on gpa template to calculate
This is also the same gpa template Caspa customer care uses to calculate gpas and in cases of discrepancies for the prospective candidate send in763d9c799a9be8d7dadcde294a6b4cc1.jpg if the link doesn't work click on gpa calculator gpa template then an excel file template will pop up and you can enter your own personal grades in

https://files.mtstatic.com/site_9264/2885/1?Expires=1558892562&Signature=BZPvPlmjsEo3GOI1mul7U8VxL2H3f5a0gUP9XkIexkdSE7LI2L3TAZwVwG7YeBb1Dnck8uYc8YfsJYxd2cgE8VVTIQ9SWVVhUFajTf8WxbJHP3tgOKNwHz2CS7esORzGCGD3cYSzJgCCJqxDauzHm~Jv0tjaw~jretsVhx~isd4_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJ5Y6AV4GI7A555NA click on gpa template to calculate
This is also the same gpa template Caspa customer care uses to calculate gpas and in cases of discrepancies for the prospective candidate send in763d9c799a9be8d7dadcde294a6b4cc1.jpg if the link doesn't work click on gpa calculator gpa template then an excel file template will pop up and you can enter your own personal grades in

Link below
https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/2_How_Your_GPA_is_Calculated

• 6 months later...