high GPA/ low PCE, chances? (also schools that emphasize stronger academics)

Hi guys! I wanted to ask whether you think I have a good shot of being accepted into a PA program this cycle. I plan on applying to around 15 schools that either requires only 500 hours PCE or do not have a minimum amount of hours. I am only 20 years old! Also, could you please list schools that you have heard of that emphasize strong academics, and maybe more lenient towards lower PCE? 

I am hoping to have around 700 hours (both from CNA and home health aide) by the time of submission around last week of May

3.99 GPA (both science and regular)

GRE is 307, 155- Quant, 152- Verbal

I have a little over 100 shadowing hours with 3 PAs

2 letters of rec from 2 PAs, and 2 letters from science professors

The only volunteering I did was through my service sorority with about 200 hours

I am the Vice President of the Pre-PA club at my University and participated in THON

That's about it! I would like to stay near Philadelphia if possible. Do you think I should still apply this cycle/ have a good chance with my high GPA/ low PCE? Thanks!

Sorry champ, you're going to have put the leg work in and look up schools that favor academics over PCE on your own.

There's an entire thread about accepted student stats and you can browse that and see where folks were accepted with stats similar to yours.

Even if the PCE minimum is low, remember that other students applying may still have thousands of hours that you'll be competing against.

Thanks @MT2PA ... what do you think. Go ahead and apply this cycle or wait a year? I think I just need to try and convince admin that I am knowledgable enough about working with patients and have a bomb P.S.! Really nothing I can do except gain more experience this summer. I feel like they know that I am young, but they may see the potential (I am hoping). 😊

My advice is live a little before committing to school.  Take some time and get some work experience before you even apply.  Hell, you can't even legally buy a beer yet, so you have plenty of time.  Also, do some adult stuff like living on your own (not in a dorm or mom and dad's house), pay some bills etc, do an 18 hour shift and feel the pain and torture of the grind (I say this kind of jokingly but not really at the same time).  They are also looking for people that have "lived" in addition to PCE and GPA.  Going into PA school would have sucked without basic "doing stuff yourself skills" on the daily, because no one is going to lend you a hand in the long run.  

My advice is live a little before committing to school.  Take some time and get some work experience before you even apply.  Hell, you can't even legally buy a beer yet, so you have plenty of time.  Also, do some adult stuff like living on your own (not in a dorm or mom and dad's house), pay some bills etc, do an 18 hour shift and feel the pain and torture of the grind (I say this kind of jokingly but not really at the same time).  They are also looking for people that have "lived" in addition to PCE and GPA.  Going into PA school would have sucked without basic "doing stuff yourself skills" on the daily, because no one is going to lend you a hand in the long run.  

I would have to almost agree with Ket131. I definitely would increase my PCE and ask to do a whole shift if they allow it. I don’t necessarily think you have to leave home. I would stay at home and save up as much money as I can! Maybe diversify your PCE/HCE hours and try to find something out of the norm so you can stand out to them. If your parents are willing to lend you a hand, I would take it. Nothing wrong with that... you sound like a responsible young adult with a good head over your shoulders. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you to live it up. My 2 cents. Good luck [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived