I have written my personal statement and mentioned that I am bilingual in English and Spanish. My native language is English, but I have taken 10 years of Spanish courses and would consider myself pretty fluent (I use my Spanish daily with patients in an inpatient setting). Has anyone who has had past interviews, and is bilingual, been given an interview question in their second language? This could just be pre-application anxiety, but I see myself potentially walking into an interview already a nervous disaster and then just totally blowing it if they asked me a question in Spanish that I didn't quite understand. Thanks in advance!

I have several friends who applied to medical schools with "bilingual in spanish" on their applications and they were asked several questions in the interview in spanish. I would hesitate to put "completely bilingual" (maybe say conversational?) if you don't think you could handle a question of that sort. 

Archived