Why I want to be a PA

Do you think it would be a bad idea to explain in interviews/personal statement that i originally wanted to go the MD route but then changed to PA for the reasons x,y, and z? I would love to know what you think about this as I see some people do this but not sure how it turns out for them?

I’d say definitely not in the personal statement. That being said, the personal statement should answer the question “why PA” specifically, so your essay should be tailored to why the PA profession (and not include any cliches/generalities about healthcare that applies to MDs/RNs/NPs/DOs.) 

With that said, I was asked the question “have you ever considered any other profession in healthcare besides deciding on PA” in multiple interviews, and I straight up told them I wanted to become a doctor in undergrad but outlined the many events since that time which made me reconsider the MD/DO profession and decide on PA. I eventually got accepted to all of these programs so I think they appreciate your honesty and your ability to reason and rationalize your decision to pursue the PA route. I would say that it is not necessary to bring it up if they do not ask that question specifically.

Hope that helps answer your question! 

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke about this in my interview and very briefly in my PS. I mentioned that I considered the MD route but decided on the PA profession because of positive experiences I had working with a PA  and I slipped in stuff about lateral mobility, work life balance, financial aspects, etc lol. But the highlight to my PS and interview was working closely with different PAs. I think it's important to say that you've researched other healthcare professions, but highlight why the PA profession drew YOU in.  

Archived