Reapply, Chances, Advice

Stats

B.S. Medical Laboratory Science (ASCP certification)

cGPA  3.70

sGPA  3.55

Non Science 4.0

1400  Patient Care hours as a patient care technician in ICU.

640 Hours HCE as a Student intern for Medical Laboratory Science.

115 Shadowing

200 Volunteer Hours non-health care

This current cycle applied to 15 schools with a little above 500 PCH and a couple of pending classes, and received 3 interviews which resulted in 2 rejections and 1 waitlist.

I am looking for ways to increase my chances for the next cycle, what can I do to stand out,  should I continue to accumulate patient care hours or work as a Medical Technologist for 2.5 times the pay?

Stats
B.S. Medical Laboratory Science (ASCP certification)
cGPA  3.70
sGPA  3.55
Non Science 4.0
1400  Patient Care hours as a patient care technician in ICU.
640 Hours HCE as a Student intern for Medical Laboratory Science.
115 Shadowing
200 Volunteer Hours non-health care
This current cycle applied to 15 schools with a little above 500 PCH and a couple of pending classes, and received 3 interviews which resulted in 2 rejections and 1 waitlist.
I am looking for ways to increase my chances for the next cycle, what can I do to stand out,  should I continue to accumulate patient care hours or work as a Medical Technologist for 2.5 times the pay?

I have a hunch that one problem is how you came off on interviews. I have no real basis for saying this, but I personally would try to hit 2000 hours of PCE and also take the better paying job.

Good luck next round!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest HopeToBePAC

All your stats look fine and acceptance worthy. Problem is likely with your interviewing skills. You got interviews, but no acceptances after. It shows you need to brush up on those skills. Consider doing some mock interviews. 

Intern hours won't count towards HCE if they were completed as part of a degree or certificate.

You're an average applicant.  Grades are average.  PCE is average but not impressive.

MT will count as HCE but not PCE.  You can get in as an MT but it's not a sure thing.

If you applied to 15 programs I would say you need to evaluate if you are applying appropriately.  Do you meet matriculating student stats, not just minimums?

Thanks for the input, yes I am aware that the interviewing skills maybe lacking and will work on that. I felt confident on 2 out of the 3 interviews I had. I just hope that when you are invited to an interview that you have a chance regardless of what your other stats are.

I am aware about the HCE hours but CASPA has a catgeory for that so I figured they were worth listing.

I feel my grades are fine I have been told that they are a little above the average.

I feel in some ways it is hard to tell where you stand with PCE hours unless the school lists the mean, the average can be really skewed by applicants with say 10 years of work experience. My 500 hours at the time I applied was the bare minumum for some schools so I knew this could be an issue. My plan is to accure as many as I can before the next cycle and beyond. The MLS is a good fall back for me.

I see a lot of accepted students have taken medical mission trips and wonder if this is something else I should consider.

Thanks again.

This really is a journey and for all that are accepted it really is a testament for their hard work.

2 hours ago, jb43718 said:

I see a lot of accepted students have taken medical mission trips and wonder if this is something else I should consider.

I agree with the other commenters - definitely work on your interview skills.

To your note about medical mission trips - I think a lot of applicants compare themselves to other applicants to their detriment. Find ways to set yourself APART, not become more similar. At this point continue getting as much PCE as possible and work on your interview skills. You said you were confident in 2/3 of your interviews, remember that being overly confident can hurt you just as badly as being too timid (not saying that's what happened, I have no idea, just something to keep in mind). 

For interviews, one of the best things for me was to just practice answering any typical question out loud at home, over and over and over (and over and over...). It'll get you comfortable talking about yourself, and help you figure out what you'd like to focus on when you answer questions. You'll feel like an idiot doing it (talking out loud to yourself about yourself is awkward for sure), but I think it was very helpful. 

Archived