How strict are the prerequisite cirriculum standards?

According to Wayne's website they have a list of prerequisite classes that they want you to have a B or better in for admission to the PA program. Unfortunately one of them is Organic Chemistry. I'm taking Orgo Chem 1 this semester and I'll be lucky to pull a C in that class. I'm working full time as a CNA and I believe that is affecting my study time (probably going to go down to part-time next semester for my sanity). My university has an organic chemistry 2 class and I'm wondering how that factors in since it is an organic chemistry class. Does this mean I should get a B or above in both courses or getting a B or above in one fulfill the requirement? Has anyone gotten in to the program with a C in one of these prerequisite courses? I just think that as long as you have good HCE hours, LOR and GRE scores, it shouldn't be a major issue but that's just me.. thoughts?

If you send your unofficial transcripts to them via email (it's all on their website) they will look them over and tell you what they will accept. I have a B- in biochem and they wouldn't accept it, the lady wrote me in an email that it needs to be a solid B or better. I am sure that the Org. Chem II class your talking about will count but you will have to ask them.

Thanks for the response. I will shoot them an e-mail. I've sent an e-mail to CMU about my courses and they said any 2.0 looks bad on an application and I'm pretty sure it looks just as bad through Wayne State's eyes. I think since they get so many applications, they will look for the littlest reason to reject an application.

I guess this means no summer vacation for me! :/

Gosh, I'm depressed now.

• 2 weeks later...

My .02

If a program put a specific gpa, grade or class needed they will probably not accept anything less.

As noted always best to check with the program.

Its a very competitive environment/process: with few seats & tons of applicants therefore PA schools can afford to make there qual's to help weed.

Not sure of your situation but you could always check other programs requirements.

Best of Luck

Archived