Stood in a Sears the other day, it reminded me of our profession...

30 minutes ago, jmj11 said:

But early on, our forefathers bet that physicians would oppose nurses who wanted more autonomy and embrace PAs who said we wanted to work together. But money talks. Nurse Practitioners are more lucrative for hospitals if they don't have the required supervising physician. They have a huge lobby to promote their profession and they play dirty.

For newer PA's wondering how we have gotten to this point, please read this quote above.  This is EXACTLY what happened.  Our previous AAPA leadership decided to link us directly to doc's, thinking that NP's would be left out because or their "radical" independent practice ideas....except that never happened.  Doc's sold their practices to large groups who then sold to corporate overlords, who then started choosing NP's over PA's and BAM...here we are.

We have 25 years of stupid (link at the hip to docs) mistakes to fix, and we had better have at it soon.

5 hours ago, Cideous said:

I think you missed the point of the analogy lol.  

No I got it, just wanted to point out that it was the retirement system that killed Sears (the same retirement system that is killing many local and state governments, along with their police/fire/etc departments).

Will the PA profession follow Sears?  Maybe, I dunno.  Will we be saved by OTP? Maybe, I dunno.  Like you said, we'll know more in 10 years.

In most industries, there are ongoing upheavals, often associated with technology or business changes. Sometimes they kill off the big dogs (like Amazon and Sears, Intel and Digital Equipment Corp, cell phones and Kodak) and sometimes not. AAPA is a bit late to the table with the structural changes that have led docs to be employees instead of employers over the past decade or so, but is responding now. How effective will we be? Time will tell. A mix of astute leadership, superior training, and patient experience with us will help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived