What are my chances? advice please!!!

Hi everyone! I am posting on here in hopes to receive honest feedback from both PA's and current PA students. I am feeling a bit discouraged lately due to my grades and academic performance. Throughout college I've had to work 20+ hours weekly, and it's always been a challenge for me to juggle both school and work, but it has been doable.  I am finishing up my senior year and am intending to apply to PA school in a year and a half. I plan to take and ace the finishing prerequisites (about six classes) at a community college during my gap year. I have about six C's on my transcript(yikes), however I retook three of those classes and got much better grades(B+ and A's). This still leaves me with three C's, but these grades aren't in the prerequisite courses that I need for PA school. Additionally, I have three W's on my transcript; two from one semester resulting from stress due to two deaths in the family, and one(physics II) because it turned out the course was no longer required for my major to graduate.

Major: Exercise Science (at a state college)  

cGPA: 3.4 (intend to raise after taking prereq classes in gap year)  

sGPA: 3.29 (intend to raise after taking prereq classes in gap year)

^Both of these GPA's include the original C's that I got before I retook them. 

PCE: 100 CNA and counting (I intend to have over 2,500 by the time I apply)

Shadowing: 40 hours OT/PT, 5 hours PA (intend to shadow more PA's during gap year)

Volunteer: over 200 hours through sorority, local hospital, and the Red Cross 

I know my stats aren't the best, but I just want some honest feedback please. I have a year to better my chances, but I want to know if my transcript/experience will lessen my chances, and if I should choose a different route (nursing, OT/PT, etc.). I don't want to give up being a PA over my grades, but I know it will entail much more time and work for me in the future. Any advice and/or feedback will help!! Thanks so much! 🙂 

I have similar stats. Here I am interviewing. You are your worst enemy.

Hi everyone! I am posting on here in hopes to receive honest feedback from both PA's and current PA students. I am feeling a bit discouraged lately due to my grades and academic performance. Throughout college I've had to work 20+ hours weekly, and it's always been a challenge for me to juggle both school and work, but it has been doable.  I am finishing up my senior year and am intending to apply to PA school in a year and a half. I plan to take and ace the finishing prerequisites (about six classes) at a community college during my gap year. I have about six C's on my transcript(yikes), however I retook three of those classes and got much better grades(B+ and A's). This still leaves me with three C's, but these grades aren't in the prerequisite courses that I need for PA school. Additionally, I have three W's on my transcript; two from one semester resulting from stress due to two deaths in the family, and one(physics II) because it turned out the course was no longer required for my major to graduate.
Major: Exercise Science (at a state college)  
cGPA: 3.4 (intend to raise after taking prereq classes in gap year)  
sGPA: 3.29 (intend to raise after taking prereq classes in gap year)
PCE: 100 CNA and counting (I intend to have over 2,500 by the time I apply)
Shadowing: 40 hours OT/PT, 5 hours PA (intend to shadow more PA's during gap year)
Volunteer: over 200 hours through sorority, local hospital, and the Red Cross 
I know my stats aren't the best, but I just want some honest feedback please. I have a year to better my chances, but I want to know if my transcript/experience will lessen my chances, and if I should choose a different route (nursing, OT/PT, etc.). I don't want to give up being a PA over my grades, but I know it's going to entail much more time and work for me. Any advice and/or feedback will help!! Thanks so much! [emoji846] 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your GPA doesn't automatically rule you you out. But, it is a little less competitive for most schools. Do you have an upward trend? When did you you get the Cs?

An upward trend can be a powerful tool for applicants with less competitive GPAs. Also, if this is the case for you, schools that accept replacement GPAs are a great option.

Your application is more than just GPA though, and you meet the minimum GPA for all schools I know of as long as you end up with a B+ or higher in each prereq (preferably with most being As).

So, don't give up just yet!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your feedback!!!! The C's on my transcript mainly happened my freshman year, however I got two last semester. My GPA been all over the place throughout college. I've had more difficult semesters than others. Some courses are only offered in the spring or fall, so often I would have a semester of only rigorous science classes and couldn't schedule the way I wanted to.

My science and cumulative GPAs are almost identical to yours. I was able to get interviews and I've been accepted to my top choice. My former roommate (she applied a year before I did) had high GPAs and was getting acceptances all over the place and that made me really insecure about my credentials. Like the above poster said, you are your own worst enemy, and critic too. Just be confident in your application and be ready to show and tell the admissions committee that you are the mature and determined student (and future PA) that they are looking for and you've learned from obstacles and hardships, both in your application and interview. I think it was my life and healthcare experience/variety, unique personal statement, and LORs got me the interviews. When you rock that interview, you have a good shot at an acceptance.

It's good that you have a plan to make your application better. Once you're all set with your prereqs, PA shadowing, and healthcare experience, make sure to apply early! I'd say the majority of PA programs are rolling admissions, so the earlier you apply, the better the odds are in your favor. Good luck!

Archived