Required Immunizations?

I am required to submit proof of 6 immunizations/boosters before class, and some of these are things like DTaP, M.M.R.- stuff that I had has a kid and have no record of. I was born in another state, my pediatrician is dead, so not exactly sure what to do. Will they re-administer those types of shots that you have as a baby or young child? Anybody in Texas want to come give me a few shots ? :wink:

I was in a similar boat for a job I had, they not only wanted the proof of immunity, but also that I had actually developed the antibodies for each. Your regular doctor can draw blood and do the testing to prove that you have had the vaccines. For each test your blood work will fall into a certain range, if it is not within the acceptable range, you will need a booster. It's pretty easy, and will prevent you from having to dig up old paperwork or getting unneeded shots.

Just get the titers drawn. Turns out some of my rotations required titers, not just proof of vaccination, so I was glad I had the titers drawn before school started (many of my classmates were scrambling inbetween didactic/clinicals). Turns out I wasn't immune to varicella despite childhood chickenpox. I had to get the 2 series vaccine and it set me back $150 (insurance does not pay for it, at least mine did not). But titers are relatively cheap.

I'm in the same boat. Got my MMR and TDAP yesterday. (That last one hurts!!) Got titers for Hep B (despite having the vac at least 4 times) and varicella. I got the last 3 done at my doctor's office, and the MMR at Safeway since they were the only ones with an adult dose. I'm a bit luckier than Joanna since my insurance does cover it.

Archived