Choosing the right school

Hey guys! Hope everyone gets some good news about the application for this cycle. 

I got accepted to Emory, Duke, and Stanford. Right now, I’m super struggled about choosing the school. 

I’m thinking between Emory and Stanford. Can anyone give me some suggestions? A well-established but old-fashioned program VS a very new but full of opportunities... 

Plus, I’ve never lived in California... is it easy to get a job in Cali after graduating from PA school? 

I appreciate any advice or suggestion! 

Guest thatgirlonabike

I think it really comes down to where you felt the most comfort and "fit."   This includes the location of the school.  Sounds to me like you are leaning towards one school already.  Trust your gut.  

On 11/5/2018 at 6:41 PM, Cadapter said:

Might be unrelated to your financial situation, but isn't Stanford like upwards of $175k+ in tuition/costs/fees? If you are relying on mainly loans to finance your education, one might consider the cheaper school.

They can't expect anybody to go into a med student's debt for the salary of their assistant.  Living expenses in the Bay Area are insane so OP couldn't stay here after graduating and pay off the debt unless their parents are paying for all of it.  Would be hard enough to make it here on a PA's salary without paying off loans.  If the school was as prestigious as its undergrad or med, you might be able to justify spending the money but the PA school is not that highly regarded.  I just don't get how one of Stanford's goals is to have its students work in underserved communities when they're the ones forcing their students to take the highest paying job to pay Stanford back.

I got into Emory and will be going there!  I like the career opportunities Emory offers and it felt more like home as other people said (even though I'm from the Bay!).  Best of luck with your decision!  

Archived