Interview Questions about being an PA

What are your main responsibilities as a physican assistant? 

What is a typical day (or week) like for you? 

What do you like most about your work? 

What do you like least about your work? 

What kinds of problems do you deal with? 

What kinds of decisions do you make? 

How does your position fit within the career field? 

How does your drop affect your general lifestyle?

What current issues and trends in the field should I know about/be aware of? 

What are some common carrer paths in this field?

What kinds of accomplishments tend to be valued and rewarded in this field? 

What related fields do you think I should consider looking into?

How did you become interested in this field?

How did you begin your career?

I am doing a project in my class about my future as an physican assistant and I would like to ask some questions so I can get an idea if I want this to be my career choice. I’m suppose to ask an actual PA instead of looking the answers up online. I would really appreciate it if you can help me. Thank you

46 minutes ago, Scook40 said:

I’m suppose to ask an actual PA instead of looking the answers up online. 

By simply posting questions to an internet forum, you are actually doing less work than looking up answers online.  

I would encourage you to contact your state PA society, and use a very nicely worded email about possibly interviewing a PA. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 9:50 PM, Scook40 said:

What are your main responsibilities as a physican assistant? 

I agree, it would be very helpful if you spoke to some PAs in person....and your questions are sort of random and indirect.

That being said, I'm bored and was a directionless student once, so..i'll bite, briefly...on the assumption you actually are trying to find a career direction. And this is a month later, so hopefully you got some answers from PAs in person.

-----------------------------------------------------

What is a typical day (or week) like for you? 

Same as most medical providers (Doctors, PAs, NPs, etc).  A few 12 hour weekday shifts, a few 8 hour weekend shifts, some free weekend days, some time spent at home finishing charts, otherwise the usual daily life.  No "call" in my line of practice, meaning no emergency patient calls at home.  

What do you like most about your work? 

That I get to practice medicine and help people feel better. In Urgent Care, I get to do it very quickly as well with rapid results and improvement.

What do you like least about your work? 

Like everyone who will answer....charting.  Writing complete, legally defensible patient charts.  Necessary but annoying.

What kinds of problems do you deal with? 

Same as any medical provider in Urgent Care...the full range of minor emergencies and acute illnesses, colds, diahhreah, abscesses, wound stitching, chest pain, ear infections, you name it.

What kinds of decisions do you make? 

Same as any medical provider, important decisions that affect the heath and outcome of my patients....diagnosing patients, care in the moment including ordering medications to be given in our clinic, performing procedures like stitching, writing prescriptions.

How does your position fit within the career field? 

Don't know what that means exactly.  A Physician Assistant is a medical provider, doing roughly the same thing a doctor would be.

How does your drop affect your general lifestyle?

I assume you mean job?  Well, it pays me a salary, which is important!  Otherwise, being a PA can be very busy or very light, depending what specialty you do (Surgery vs dermatology).  Not hard to find a specialty that suits your desired lifestyle.

What current issues and trends in the field should I know about/be aware of? 

Couldn't begin to address that here. Read the rest of this board to see some of the hot topics.

What are some common carrer paths in this field?

Every medical specialty. Uregent Care, cadiology, gastroenterology, etc etc etc.

What kinds of accomplishments tend to be valued and rewarded in this field? 

Not sure hoe to answer that....if you do your job and help patients, that is valued.

What related fields do you think I should consider looking into?

Only you could answer that....NP, doctor, podiatrist, dentist, etc.

How did you become interested in this field?

Always wanted to be a medical provider....a doctor, originally, but PA was a better choice.

How did you begin your career?

I was a volunteer EMT; many PAs were previouslyEMTs, CNAs, respiratory techs, Xray techs,  MAs, other things in the field.

Archived