Am I good enough

Hey guys, I'm a senior in undergrad currently, I have 3 semesters left to get all the prereqs I need.

I wasn't focused at all in my first 2 years of college and got pretty much B's in all my science classes. 

I'm now taking harder sciences classes and although I'm working super hard, I'm not confident in my ability to make all A's; at my school most people make C's or below in Organic Ii and Biochem.

So my GPA is super mediocre and even if I make all A's from now until graduation, I won't make higher than a 3.5

I look at stats on this forum and see people with much better stats than me taking years to get acceptances and it freaks me out. I know this is a long process that can take many years, but I'm starting to feel like I'm just not good or smart enough. I have been working as a CNA while going to school since sophomore year, I've accumulated tons of shadowing and volunteering hours and I have close relationships with supervisors and professors. I know i can make the other aspects of my application shine, but still the stats I'm seeing on here are super discouraging. I'm expecting to take a year or two after graduation to accumulate more PCE but, with my GPA, should I even bother? I really am motivated to be a PA but I constantly wonder if I should switch carrer paths while I'm still in school to something more plausible.

Any feedback is welcome. I just want to be realistic. Although I have a long way to go before I even begin applying, I feel so incredibly defeated. 

Don't give up just yet. My GPA is not a strength in my application (3.3), but I have a lot of other experiences and strengths within my application. Many PA programs truly do a holistic review of your application, meaning you won't be cut immediately due to a below average GPA. If you have a large amount of PCE, shadowing, great letters of rec, and a killer PS, that will make a huge difference. This is my first cycle applying and I have received an interview coming up in Nov. Although that is by no means an acceptance, it gives me confidence that schools will still consider a non-4.0 student. Before getting an interview I felt the exact same way as you. One of the most important things I've learned through applying so far is having confidence in yourself. If you don't think you can do this, how can you convenience a PA program that you're up to it? I truly believe I can do this, and I think I made that clear in my personal statement and supplemental applications. I think that is what landed me an interview. Work your butt of in your classes these last few semesters, and continue to get PCE, shadow experience. Write an awesome personal statement and get letters of rec from professionals who truly know you and believe in you. Commit to yourself and this dream and you can still get there, even with a gpa lower than a 3.5. 

Let me give you a little bit of hope! Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.26

sGPA: 3.24

GRE: Verbal: 155 (69%) Quantitative 154 (55%) Writing 4.0 (60%)

PCE: 5489 hours at time of submission, rough 3500 of those as a Community Health Worker, roughly 2000 of those as radiology/MRI tech assistant

HCE: 642 hours 

Volunteering: 4067 hours

Shadowing: 42 hours

extras: A lot of leadership experience with a student ministry at Boise State, leadership experience working with a local community collaborative, coached a youth lacrosse team, a lot of work towards helping found a Community Health Worker association in Idaho,  spent a summer working at a summer camp for at risk youths near Cincinnati

I'm already accepted to a program and I have at least one more interview lined up! I knew that my GPA was where I fell short and I went back and retook a few classes to improve it especially in some key classes. Also, I have an abnormal amount of volunteer hours. I volunteered at a free clinic throughout college and then eventually got offered a spot on staff with them as a Community Health Worker. This job has also given me a few opportunities to work in health equity and making sure basic healthcare is available to those most in need!

Here are my tips!

1. Find schools that look at your application holistically.

2. Look for schools where your stats are generally pretty close.

3. Apply broadly! I applied to 12 schools but have met people who have applied to like 15-30.

4. Look at your application and find that area that sets you apart and play to that strength (for me it was my work at the free clinic and in my community).

5. Your personal statement really does matter A LOT! This is another great opportunity to set yourself apart and really show your passion as to why you want to be a PA. 

6. Be thorough with your application double check, triple check, and have your friends check everything that you write!

7. Don't think of your PCE as a box to check! This is a part of your path to becoming a medical provider and you should be learning from this as well.

Don't give up hope! Keep working hard and keep your eye on your end goal and all the hard work will be worth it! 

I had a 3.39 gpa, and a 3.2 science gpa. I was lucky enough to only have to apply once, and I already got 6 interviews (and accepted into my first choice!!!!!!)

I say all that to tell you, if I can do it, you can do it better. I had many things hold me back, but if youre determined enough and show an upward trend, anything is possible.

Also (obviously), APPLY SMART. I didnt apply to Duke or University of Iowa (I did apply to emory though and was almost immediately rejected). I looked at schools who were a good fit for me, and would look at me more than a set of numbers. Know your strengths, work on your weaknesses, and just apply. 

Guest HanSolo
7 hours ago, sublunary5 said:

I wasn't focused at all in my first 2 years of college and got pretty much B's in all my science classes. 

I'm now taking harder sciences classes and although I'm working super hard, I'm not confident in my ability to make all A's; at my school most people make C's or below in Organic Ii and Biochem.

So my GPA is super mediocre and even if I make all A's from now until graduation, I won't make higher than a 3.5

Some Bs are fine. Do your best to get at least A- in Orgo or Biochem, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. 

Not much higher than a 3.5? You'll be fine if other aspects of your application work. I think I had around a 3.4 cumulative GPA and received interviews from the "big names." 

Planning on taking at least a year or two off after graduation? You can always take one class at a time while working to boost the GPA if need be. 

38 minutes ago, HanSolo said:

Some Bs are fine. Do your best to get at least A- in Orgo or Biochem, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. 

Not much higher than a 3.5? You'll be fine if other aspects of your application work. I think I had around a 3.4 cumulative GPA and received interviews from the "big names." 

Planning on taking at least a year or two off after graduation? You can always take one class at a time while working to boost the GPA if need be. 

Thanks for the advice! I am planning on taking organic lab during the summer just to get it out of the way, but wouldn't taking a few classes one at a time reflect poorly on me, because it would seem like I can handle a tough class on its own but not a few tough classes at the same time?

Could I ask what “big names” you’re referring to? As I probably if I get all As will have 3.4 science GPA and Just graduated this past spring with 3.7 CGPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 3.39 gpa, and a 3.2 science gpa. I was lucky enough to only have to apply once, and I already got 6 interviews (and accepted into my first choice!!!!!!)
I say all that to tell you, if I can do it, you can do it better. I had many things hold me back, but if youre determined enough and show an upward trend, anything is possible.

Also (obviously), APPLY SMART. I didnt apply to Duke or University of Iowa (I did apply to emory though and was almost immediately rejected). I looked at schools who were a good fit for me, and would look at me more than a set of numbers. Know your strengths, work on your weaknesses, and just apply. 

Where did you apply?

7 hours ago, PrePA94 said:

I'd like to disagree with this - I have a 3.5 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA and was accepted to 7 programs (one with an average accepted GPA of 3.7), including a "big name" program. Definitely primarily apply to schools that are a good fit for you, but don't be scared to add on a few schools that you dream about (assuming you meet the requirements) and see what happens! If you don't get in you're only out $60, but if you don't try you risk wondering what might have been. Also, there's tons of crazy stories from people who got into their reach and got rejected from their safeties, so don't let overcaution hold you back from a potentially amazing school! ?

I'd like to disagree with this - I have a 3.5 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA, was accepted to a 7 programs (one with an average accepted GPA of 3.7) including a "big name" program. Definitely look at schools that are a good fit for you, but also don't be scared to add on a few schools that you dream about (assuming you meet the requirements) and see what happens! If you don't get in you're only out $60, but if you don't try you risk wondering what might have been. Also, there's tons of crazy stories from people who got into their reach and got rejected from their safeties, so don't let overcaution hold you back from a potentially amazing school! [emoji846]

What schools did you apply to?

Guest HanSolo
15 hours ago, sublunary5 said:

Thanks for the advice! I am planning on taking organic lab during the summer just to get it out of the way, but wouldn't taking a few classes one at a time reflect poorly on me, because it would seem like I can handle a tough class on its own but not a few tough classes at the same time?

Nah. Taking a class like Orgo during the summer is basically a full-time job since you usually have 3 hrs of lecture in the morning with 3 hrs of lab in the afternoon. Then you have to go home and study.

Sounds a bit like PA school!

2.27 undergrad gpa

2.78 caspa gpa after taking 13 or so prereqs with all A's and 1 B- (orgo, not my strength by any means)

30 schools applied to over 3 cycles, only 2 interviews, got into my top choice. I laid it all on the line and it has paid off. I feel that what you are doing now will make you stronger as an applicant as well as a PA student. Didactic year was hard but I didn't really struggle at all, whereas many of my counterparts whose GPA's were MUCH higher than mine had a far more difficult time during our first year.

anything in this world is possible until you start to believe that it's not

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, Lucy199 said:

2.27 undergrad gpa

2.78 caspa gpa after taking 13 or so prereqs with all A's and 1 B- (orgo, not my strength by any means)

30 schools applied to over 3 cycles, only 2 interviews, got into my top choice. I laid it all on the line and it has paid off. I feel that what you are doing now will make you stronger as an applicant as well as a PA student. Didactic year was hard but I didn't really struggle at all, whereas many of my counterparts whose GPA's were MUCH higher than mine had a far more difficult time during our first year.

anything in this world is possible until you start to believe that it's not

hi Lucy199 thank you for sharing your experience. Which schools did you get interview and where did you got accepted? HCP?

Archived