My PA education

I graduated in 1986 from CUNY (City University of NY).  The experience was wonderful and absolutely prepared me for my 32 year career in Family Medicine.  The didactic classes were taught by physicians  from Columbia University Medical School and were great teachers and very supportive of our profession.  I did all of my 2nd rotations at Harlem hospital and lived there in the nurses dorm for 1 year.  The only rotation I did off site was family medicine at an office on Long Island.  I wanted to be exposed to as much clinical medicine and surgery as I could.  I saw every disease from A to Z and actively participated in all patient care.  My decision to do all rotations at Harlem hospital prepared me for my career in Family medicine in medically under served areas where physicians did not want to practice for reasons  IMO, included personal safety and the all mighty $$.  Me,  I loved it.  I was treated with respect and I was able to utilize what I had learned.  Thank you Harlem Hospital PA program.

I graduated not too long ago from XXXXX PA program; The experience was horrible; the didactic classes were taught by some instructors who were not very supportive of our profession. I did all my rotations at different locations, mostly small private practices where “my job” was to write HPIs and perform physical examination. During my clinical rotations, I had several online classes where I had to study about ethical issues in health care and health care regulations; nothing clinical. I hated those classes because all I wanted to study was medicine. In multiple occasions, I went 2-3 nights without sleeping so I could meet deadlines. Sometimes I thought the whole purpose of my school was to destroy me. But I’m kind of “cowboy;” it takes a lot to make me give up or fail. After graduation, I studied 6 weeks without any break; then I passed the pance comfortably. Today I work 40-45 hours per week. My CP likes to teach and I “take advantage” of him by asking all I can. Then I go home and study even more. My goal is to be as good as any great MD. And I’m getting there. One of my coworkers told me he heard my boss, a MD, saying that I’m one of the best PAs he has. It made me smile ? Proud to be a PA. 

Archived