Any current students or alums willing to share their experience with the program?

I was recently accepted for the next class, starting in 2019 and I feel like I didn't get to learn to much about the program on my interview date or after my interview due to time constraints. I'm super grateful to have been given a seat, but I'd like to know more about the program/what your personal experience has been like/etc. Any input is greatly appreciated!

• 4 months later...

semi-recent grad here. while I'm grateful to have gotten my degree ...my time at LIU was TERRIBLE. The faculty is not supportive, has very obvious favorites, and uses fear and shame as its main motivators.

If its the only program you get into, its still a good program academically.

But if you get into any other programs, I would go to one of those; especially if you are looking for a mentor-type relationship or struggle with mental health. 

On 2/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, snoopy29 said:

semi-recent grad here. while I'm grateful to have gotten my degree ...my time at LIU was TERRIBLE. The faculty is not supportive, has very obvious favorites, and uses fear and shame as its main motivators.

If its the only program you get into, its still a good program academically.

But if you get into any other programs, I would go to one of those; especially if you are looking for a mentor-type relationship or struggle with mental health. 

How was your experience in the clinical setting? Did you feel as though you had a well rounded experience in terms of your clinical sites/rotations?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, Ashleyn89 said:

How was your experience in the clinical setting? Did you feel as though you had a well rounded experience in terms of your clinical sites/rotations?

Having 3 elective rotations is nice, and there is a decent selection as far clinical settings (with heavy emphasis on Ortho, pretty unavoidable that one of you electives will be ortho, they really push it). But rotations are what you make them -- either you have a ton of guidance but not freedom (like not able to touch or see patients alone, very much a shadowing gig) OR its too much freedom and your preceptor is nowhere to be found and certainly isn't giving you feedback or guidance (you learn to appreciate these ones though lol). There are a handful that have both elements, which are fantastic, and handful which have neither, which are miserable. 

I will say, I think this has less to do with LIU and more to do with going to school in a city inundated with medical students on rotations. No hand holding in NYC lol

2 hours ago, snoopy29 said:

Having 3 elective rotations is nice, and there is a decent selection as far clinical settings (with heavy emphasis on Ortho, pretty unavoidable that one of you electives will be ortho, they really push it). But rotations are what you make them -- either you have a ton of guidance but not freedom (like not able to touch or see patients alone, very much a shadowing gig) OR its too much freedom and your preceptor is nowhere to be found and certainly isn't giving you feedback or guidance (you learn to appreciate these ones though lol). There are a handful that have both elements, which are fantastic, and handful which have neither, which are miserable. 

I will say, I think this has less to do with LIU and more to do with going to school in a city inundated with medical students on rotations. No hand holding in NYC lol

Lol, I actually really appreciate that about NY. I feel like you learn more when you are allowed to make your own decisions, and not being steered toward the right one all the time. Thank you so much for your response! One of the factors that I find to be critical is the clinical experience. After all, our clinical experience is what is will be helping us transition into the working world.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a current student of the program and I disagree with some of the comments made here. I believe that the LIU PA program staff is extremely caring and helpful if you reach out for it. They will push you mentally but this is due to the steep learning curve that needs to be made. If you are a student that shows up and wants to learn in the classroom and clinical setting, many opportunities will come your way. 90% of the preceptors the school chooses will recognize hardworking students. Where I believe this program is lacking is the recognition and support of the university. Having gotten to know the faculty, its clear that they are doing the most that they can given the resources they have. 

There is an emphasis on ortho but this is not a requirement. PAs are strongly utilized in the orthopedic setting and many of my classmates left these rotation loving ortho and now have a desire to practice in this setting. 

Also to add, its been a frequent theme as I start new rotations that LIU PA students are very much welcomed at these rotations and I find that they are impressed with us. I am on my 5th rotation and have been told by 3 preceptors to leave my CV with the clinical site because they know LIU produces well rounded students. 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...