Microbiology Requirement

Hello,

I have searched the forums for similar situations and although helpful, I would like to elaborate on the Microbiology course I have taken. A couple years back I took Microbiology from an online university (TUI University) that was included in a health sciences degree program. The school was WASC accredited so I'm not worried about that. I understand most schools want Microbiology for science majors at the 3-4000 level but the school I took it from has an odd course title. The lecture is combined with the lab into one course and is listed as:

MIC100L Lab 4.0 credits

Course Description:

This course covers in-depth the morphology, structure, & function of typical bacteria, viruses and fungi. The classification of microorganisms and their characteristics and measurement of microbial growth examined. The physical and chemical control of the growth and viability of microorganisms are presented so that the student will understand the reasoning which forms the foundation of disease prevention and control in public health and medicine. Pathogenicity and immunology, as well as, host resistance and the immune response are presented. Microbial applications and industrial use in the modern world are presented.

Based on the course title and description would PA schools likely accept this course and has anyone here run into a similar dilemma? I could contact each individual school but was wondering if anyone here has been in the same situation. I'm debating on if I should retake Micro at the university I attend now just to be safe since the course is listed as MCB3020 here (University of West Florida). The only problem is the course would not be finished by the time I apply since I would have to take it next spring 13'.

You could contact the schools you're most interested in and let them read the course description. I had some schools accept my A&P and one school that did not accept it, so they're all different. I think it would be worth the time it would take to email them before you spend money to take the class over.

As listed, your course sounds like intro/general microbiology. That is not the same as an upper division (300/400) micro class. I have a micro degree, so I had to take several 400 level classes. Those ones have more specific topics, like immunology and pathogenic micro.

That said, none of the schools I applied to required anything higher than general micro which at my school is 250. I would second the advice of just calling the schools to ask. We could guess all day, but they actually know.

Almost all of my schools that I'm applying to that require Microbiology (Illinois PA Programs) don't require anything particularly "advanced" or high-level. I contacted Northwestern University's PA Program, and they were perfectly fine with my university (UIUC)'s MCB 100 Microbiology course. I'm debating on taking the BIO340 course from University of Phoenix. If anyone is interested in taking that course from UP to fulfill the micro prereq (it's only 5 weeks), let me know ASAP.

Almost all of my schools that I'm applying to that require Microbiology (Illinois PA Programs) don't require anything particularly "advanced" or high-level. I contacted Northwestern University's PA Program, and they were perfectly fine with my university (UIUC)'s MCB 100 Microbiology course. I'm debating on taking the BIO340 course from University of Phoenix. If anyone is interested in taking that course from UP to fulfill the micro prereq (it's only 5 weeks), let me know ASAP.

That is good news considering Illinois is one of the states I plan to apply. I’m from Missouri so I would LOVE to attend Missouri State; however, my GPA is not competitive due my immaturity 7-8 years ago (pre-military) so I will be applying broadly. I think I’m going to roll with it and just apply to schools that will approve my course via email. If anything, I can retake it my last semester next spring and shoot for an A since I got a B the first time. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Matt

That is good news considering Illinois is one of the states I plan to apply. I’m from Missouri so I would LOVE to attend Missouri State; however, my GPA is not competitive due my immaturity 7-8 years ago (pre-military) so I will be applying broadly. I think I’m going to roll with it and just apply to schools that will approve my course via email. If anything, I can retake it my last semester next spring and shoot for an A since I got a B the first time. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Matt

Would you be interested in doing the May 8 class at University of Phoenix BIO340 with me?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Would you be interested in doing the May 8 class at University of Phoenix BIO340 with me?

I am really hesitant to take Micro at the University of Phoenix because of the stigma attached it. I understand it is regionally accredited but I can't see ADCOMs viewing courses at the school as equivalent to courses taken at other institutions. You will probably be fine, but my GPA is at the minimum requirement for most schools so I need to prove I can excel at upper level science courses and give my self the best chance by taking them at the state school I currently attend. Fortunately, I still have 30-40 credits left to bring my GPA up but I don't think taking Micro at U of P would be ideal for my situation.

I am really hesitant to take Micro at the University of Phoenix because of the stigma attached it. I understand it is regionally accredited but I can't see ADCOMs viewing courses at the school as equivalent to courses taken at other institutions. You will probably be fine, but my GPA is at the minimum requirement for most schools so I need to prove I can excel at upper level science courses and give my self the best chance by taking them at the state school I currently attend. Fortunately, I still have 30-40 credits left to bring my GPA up but I don't think taking Micro at U of P would be ideal for my situation.

I see that at this point I can't dissuade you from your decision. Could you tell me more about what this "stigma" is, or at least what you've heard of it? My GPA is average, but I've got some C's and one F that I have to deal with -- so your opinion matters to me too.

I would say definitely take Microbiology in your institution, given you have 30-40 credits left! I, on the other hand, am set on the path to graduate this May -- there's no last-minute course-adding or changing. My Microbiology prerequisite has to be met post-bacc.

This leads me to a question that's open to anyone who's willing to share some insight. I'm stuck between the three options:

1. Take Microbiology (BIO 340) at University of Phoenix. Complete in 5 weeks, get transcript, send to CASPA. Done by mid-June.

2. Take Microbiology at University of New England Online. Complete in ??? weeks, get transcript, send to CASPA. Done by ???.

3. Take Microbiology at my college, University of Illinois, as a non-degree student. Complete in 8 weeks, send to CASPA. Done by mid-August.

(I hope I'm not derailing this thread...)

UNE or UI are the better bets. You don't need to wait on that course to submit your CASPA app. Fill out your app and list micro as in-progress, get it submitted as soon as possible after the cycle opens, and then send updated transcripts directly to the schools you applied to once the grade posts.

UNE or UI are the better bets. You don't need to wait on that course to submit your CASPA app. Fill out your app and list micro as in-progress, get it submitted as soon as possible after the cycle opens, and then send updated transcripts directly to the schools you applied to once the grade posts.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, really appreciate it. I forgot one thing. The reason I'm worried about with taking courses before CASPA completion is because of 2 reasons:

1. Microbiology should be very easy to me because of my major, and I'm about to graduate. Easy A = Higher CASPA cumulative GPA.

2. It looks better to complete all my prerequisites.

Okay, please address some myths and misunderstandings I may have!

Thanks!

Could you tell me more about what this "stigma" is, or at least what you've heard of it?

Wikipedia is not a reliable reference so take it for what it's worth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix

There's a few questionable controversies surrounding the school. Not that other schools don't have some skeletons in the closet but U of P does not seem as legit in terms of a quality education.

Archived