PA restrictions but none for NP...shock

I work in internal medicine as a hospitalist and a student has recently asked to shadow me. I had jump through several hoops for this to happen which ultimately ended in my supervising physician having to sign a form stating that they will "supervise" my shadowing. It was then brought to my attention that PAs do not have a procedure in place in which we are permitted to precept students at all. I was outright told that only Physicians and Nurse practitioners were allowed to do this. 

Has anyone else come across this issue?  How should I go about changing this? This policy seems outdated and discriminatory. I have only been a PA for 3 years but at this point I wonder if I should have saved my money and all the stress and hard work of getting into PA school (upper level science courses, entrance exams, interviews, rigorous PA curriculum) when I could have just gone to community college out of high school to become a nurse assistant and worked full time for about 4 years until I worked my way through  some online NP program where my buddies were my preceptors only to get hired over the PA due to less paperwork and paid more out of the gate for my years or "RN experience".  oh and practice independently. As a single woman its really starting to scare me that in 10 years RNs will probably have more hospital privileges than me and my profession will be obsolete.

I don't know what the AAPA could do?  They can't force a hospital to let you have someone who could shadow you.  Stuff like this is an institution policy.  Likely made by some suits.  I think PAs need better representation at the institution level.   I would talk to whoever is in charge of this department (e.g is it done by office of volunteering, or is it some other department that vets shadowers to make sure they are immunized, have signed hippaa stuff etc, and go from there).

Archived