Living in one state, working and being sued in another....

Scenario:

If you live in one state with personal property protections (house, IRA protections etc from creditors like Nevada or Texas) and you work in another (without protections like CA) and get sued in the state without the protections (but you have Zero assets there).  Does anyone have any idea if the people who sue you can go after your assets in the state you live and reside in?

I know....ask a lawyer, but with work and travel across state lines becoming more and more common in our profession, I was wondering if anyone has researched this.  As I inch closer to retiring, I was wondering if working across state lines would be an option (limited part-time), but this one fact...liability, keeps me up at night.

Thanks for any thoughts, insight or experience.

1 hour ago, ventana said:

should be moot

this is what med mal insurance is for

Except it's not.  Providers are frequently sued for more then medmal covers.  There are pages of horror stories of lawyers going after doc's houses in CA because they have exceeded their medmal limits.

My original question stands.  

Sorry about this concern.  I don’t think this is bright line law, but decided on a one by one basis.  Lawyers can go after anything, but whether they prevail or not is the concern.  Even if they prevail, can it be enforced?  This would be difficult to even research legally.  A very interesting legal question though.  I would throw my money on the state where you had your property.  Say you were sued in Michigan, where your house is not protected, but your house was in Florida, where it is.  I think eventually you would be keeping your house, but I have no precedent to cite.  BTW, almost every state protects retirement.  

Having been in insurance world prior to PA

But not in CA

In order to get a signed release for the med mal settlement - they require a release of all claims

VERY rare that someone would not sign off on the million dollar payout on the outside chance that they might get a little more from a PA

But no sure in CA

Archived