More on the PI-CME, aka CQI project.....

agree. several of my sp's of record probably don't even know I am assigned to them. the way we function is that the doc of the day signs all charts regardless of who they are assigned to. I don't think I have even worked with any of my sp's of record in over 6 months. it took me awhile to find a doc to sign off on my CAQ stuff and it ended up being a doc who has been my sp in the past at another location but now works with me again in a non-sp role.

any requirement that the docs be involved in our cme is doomed to failure unless it is just "sign here".

There is no requirement that they be involved with your PI-CME. This does not have to even involve them. You can do it with them if you wish and commiserate with each other, but you certainly DO NOT have to involve your doc.

As far docs being the captain of the team, this is what needs to change. In the vast majority of instances, they should be, but that's not always. Sometimes the RN should be the captain, sometimes, RT, sometimes the PA or NP. The fact is, you are deferring. You are saying that the physician is responsible for the quality of care that you deliver. I would argue that YOU are primarily responsible for the quality of care that you deliver.

I am primarily responsible for the care I deliver. My supervisor (as part of what makes up the definition of a supervisor) is also legally and morally responsible for the quality of my care.

I'm not sure exactly how my QI project will be dreamed up. I'm in a similar condition to EMEDPA. Believe it or not, I have never worked a single shift with my supervising physician of record. I work for a group that is a contractor in the ER. Neither my group nor my hospital are going to give a s**t about my QI needs. Nor will any of my delegated physicians. And I don't think I have worked two shifts in a row with the same physician, so there is no continuity.

So who is gonna read / grade this stupid things?

Is there gonna b a pass/fail?

What if I don't have access to EMR?

Im switching to a different / unique position, where I will only b in the OR! YAY!

No Office! No Rounds! No patient interaction other than in the OR!

So am I non-clinical? So who knows what I will b required 2 do?

So who is gonna read / grade this stupid things?

Is there gonna b a pass/fail?

What if I don't have access to EMR?

Im switching to a different / unique position, where I will only b in the OR! YAY!

No Office! No Rounds! No patient interaction other than in the OR!

So am I non-clinical? So who knows what I will b required 2 do?

That is NOT non clinical. If you want to (or are required to) maintain your "-C" you will have to do this.

Personally, the OR is a RIPE environment for QI projects. I can think of about 8 right off of the top of my head.

Archived