A Plan So Crazy...

Good evening everyone,

In the course of the past month, it has become apparent that I have a series of options that lie ahead.  One option seems so crazy that it just might work while the other option is more in line with the standard process.

Potentially Pertinent Information:

- 4 years as an EMT-B 
 - BSc in Homeland Security with a minor in Emergency Medical Care
 -15 hours of required pre-reqs outstanding, 6 hours in courses I would like to take such as Genetics and Pathophysiology or BioChem.
 -3,000 clinical hours in EMS and occupational health.  
 -Graduated with 3.51 overall GPA, 3.25 SGPA
 -A practice GRE test that was taken gave a score of 154V and 146Q

Option A)  Use a semi-unexpected period of unemployment to return to school and finish pre-requisites over the next two semesters while working part time at a local EMS department then begin applying come the spring for the 3 programs within my home states.  I expect this to cost approximately $3,500 and to live at home during this period.  

Option B)  Finish out my education in real estate appraising and work in this field for the next few years while developing a portfolio of rental properties that will ultimately provide housing, income, and in-education student loan repayment.    During this time, my goal is to use the flexibility of my job to volunteer in a medical reserve corp, and hopefully even a local rescue squad for a popular recreation area nearby that is notorious for stranding hikers.  

There are concerns in both paths.  

Concerns Pertaining to Option A: Financially, this will be difficult and I will come out of this period with at least 95k student loan debt (Conservative estimate).  It will also likely require some additional debt or putting other things on hold in my life, potentially.  There is also an extreme amount of mental strain from living at home, but I'm sure we all understand that one, right? 

Concerns Pertaining to Option B: The period of time that it may take to build enough of a portfolio to make this make sense could exceed 5 years.  Over this period, with a minimal job, I would be able to add a new property approximately every 2 years.  To have enough to live and pay student loans down while in school, I would need 3-4 properties at a minimum, each producing $600+/mo.   There is some concern as well regarding how the selection committee will view my decision to leave EMS/Occupational Health to pursue another venture for this period of time.  I love working in EMS, but I get nauseous in the back of the truck.   Plus, in my state (As I know it is the same in many states), it is difficult to find a well-paying job that would allow me to live on my own again without working extreme amounts of overtime.  This would interfere with my studies.

To answer a potential question... Why study Homeland Security?  I did not realize I had any interest in medicine until my sophomore year of college, which was technically my junior year since my freshman year was completed in high school.  However, I have found a way to repurpose this education and have every intention to seek a position as an EM PA, and hopefully a Disaster PA as well with one of the NDMS teams, post-certification of course. 

I may be writing this as much for myself as I am to get opinions, but I would be interested to hear what a fresh set of critical thinkers have to say about the situation.  Thank you all for reading, and I appreciate the input as well.  

So the tough stuff first. That GPA is going to cause a few problems, not excluding from all programs, but it's not good (same for that GRE Q, get it up in the 150's before you take it for real). Your toughest classes also may lay ahead depending on what is still outstanding, OChem and BioChem are brutal. Your PlanB is not good for a lot of reasons, mostly, if it doesn't go perfectly, you dug yourself into a deep hole. And unless you have a lot of cash to spare, getting loans for all that rental property is going to be a problem, and then the mortgage will eat up most of your profit; real estate doesn't really pay until you own it free and clear (I own a rental property). Then all the legwork of repairs, if an A/C unit craps out, etc etc. Go to school far away from your property, big problem (I'm 2 hours away and it is annoying). Pay a property manager? There goes more of your profit... etc etc. 

PA school is insanely competitive and demanding, both academically and personal commitment wise, and it is only becoming more so. You have 1 realistic (good chance to get into PA school) option. Pound out your prereqs (don't get anything less than an A) ASAP before your other ones meet the 5-10 year expiration, study your butt off for the GRE, and get some volunteer and shadowing experience. 

If you're only applying to 3 programs, you need to know everything there is to know about them and where you stand. That is a remarkably low number to apply to. The acceptance rate at most is <5%. If you don't come at it extremely aggressively then your chances will diminish.

As for the $100k in debt, that is the name of the game these days, "welcome to the club" as it were. You should also look into the Navy PA program (tuition and stipend paid for 3 years of service after you graduate), there is a thread about it on the forum here.

Best of luck.

Anachronist gave good advice.

My biggest concern for both options is the halting of the PCE experience.  I get that some of the classic PCE don't pay well enough to live (a story everyone knows).  4 years of EMT is great but as soon as you start adding dead air from the last time you worked to your application...it's less impressive.  

Applicants are out there taking classes (i.e. improving their GPA), getting HCE/PCE, and doing it all to improve their apps right up until CASPA submission and until matriculation.  That's just who you're competing against.  How much are you willing to sacrifice for the dream?

Thank you both for your constructively critical advice.  I greatly appreciate it.  

I should be able to take on these courses and improve the GPA, especially if I divide them up between the next two semesters.  

Thank you for confirming what I worried about on dead time between PCE and application.  As you have both pointed out, I cannot afford to intentionally do anything to damage my chances further.  This will need to take priority.  Thank you again.  

And just one for the road EMiller, I have a friend who just graduated med school, he said "med school isn't about how smart or talented you are, it is about how much you are willing to suffer." My PA school experience thus far has been similar, from the prep to get in and now the coursework itself.

No other way to do it but go all-in.

1 hour ago, Anachronist said:

And just one for the road EMiller, I have a friend who just graduated med school, he said "med school isn't about how smart or talented you are, it is about how much you are willing to suffer." My PA school experience thus far has been similar, from the prep to get in and now the coursework itself.

No other way to do it but go all-in.

Most of my suffering came after graduation.....:)

1st job was great. next several, not so much. Crazy hours, like 240/month, minimal autonomy and respect, etc. Probably why I am still so bitter about the profession...

Archived