MCPHS Worcester- Accepted! January 2013 Start

Hello everyone! I got a letter today saying MCPHS is unable to offer me admission to their PA program. BUT they are offering me admission to their NURSING program.

Thoughts on this? I'm assuming that the class for 2013 is probably already filled and won't even be offering interviews anymore. Is this a good path towards PA school anyways?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello everyone! I got a letter today saying MCPHS is unable to offer me admission to their PA program. BUT they are offering me admission to their NURSING program.

Thoughts on this? I'm assuming that the class for 2013 is probably already filled and won't even be offering interviews anymore. Is this a good path towards PA school anyways?

I think your answer really depends on what you want for yourself.. Do you want to be a nurse? Nursing is going to be a lot different than being a PA..I don't think it's a path to the PA position at all- I'm kind of wondering why you think this? You could always go for nursing and then get your NP down the road, but personally I wouldn't use it as a step to PA if you really desire to be a PA. It's kind of like when people say they want to be a PA before an MD. It's not logical, they are two separate occupations.

I think they offered this to you because the two paths have similar prerequisites, I don't think they're implying it will be a path to PA school.

Anyone else? Thoughts??

I think your answer really depends on what you want for yourself.. Do you want to be a nurse? Nursing is going to be a lot different than being a PA..I don't think it's a path to the PA position at all- I'm kind of wondering why you think this? You could always go for nursing and then get your NP down the road, but personally I wouldn't use it as a step to PA if you really desire to be a PA. It's kind of like when people say they want to be a PA before an MD. It's not logical, they are two separate occupations.

I think they offered this to you because the two paths have similar prerequisites, I don't think they're implying it will be a path to PA school.

Anyone else? Thoughts??

Thanks for your thoughts! I definitely still want to pursue PA school and have yet to hear from other schools too. I just wish they had a wait-list spot they could offer instead.

Thanks for your thoughts! I definitely still want to pursue PA school and have yet to hear from other schools too. I just wish they had a wait-list spot they could offer instead.

Hey, I actually have an interview with the Worcester program next wk ( the 13th)...I feel like you should call their admissions for clarification. They wouldn't still interview more people if the class was already filled...at least I hope not!

For those who got accepted, congratulations!!! Any tips for the interview for me...what type of questions should I expect? Thanks in advance!

Farah

Hi jflandez,

I think your should double check with the admissions office what they mean. I was in a similar position. I submitted my application towards the fall of 2011. I then received a letter saying that they could not take my application into consideration for that application period because they had already filled the class, but that I was welcome to reapply for the next cycle. They stated all this clearly in the letter. Prior to actually receiving the letter, I got a call from admissions letting me know of the situation and offering me to apply for the 16 month BSN program. I knew that I wanted to become a PA and not a nurse so I opted to wait another year, and decided to take it easy with the rest of the pre-requisites that I still needed to complete. There are advantages and disadvantages in the NP vs PA path. If you're sure you want to practice Primary Care, then it shouldn't make much of a difference in the end. But if you plan on moving to another specialty in the future, then you're better off pursuing the PA path. You probably already know this.

On another note, the school's offer to give farahk an interview soon may just be that they received your application after hers. I encourage you to call admissions to try to find out what your true chances are of getting into their program. Of course they won't be able to offer you any guarantees, but still, try to get as much information as you can, so you can make well calculated decisions.

As far as their BSN Program, I highly suggest you ask graduates or even current students about their experience.

GOOD LUCK!

• 2 weeks later...

congrats to all who have been accepted!! i found out a week after my interview in may. a friend who's currently in the program told me we probably won't hear about on campus housing untill about sept/oct. i have not heard back from fafsa yet either.

i was wondering what you all are planning on buying in terms of school supplies. i figured since all the back to schools stuff is going on now, might as well try to get as much as i can.

my friend also told me she got an ipad for school which she has found to be very useful. i guess some of the professors don't want you to type very loudly when the lectures are broadcasted between campuses because the microphones pick up everything.

again, congrats to you all and can't wait to meet you. feel free to add me on facebook...Vinisha Patel

Hi Vinisha,

The same thought crossed my mind while looking around for school supplies for my daughter :) I don't really know what to buy, but I was thinking maybe the basics like highlighters, binders and binder paper, index cards if you're the type that makes flash cards, pens, pencils, and a BOOK STAND. pabreschia suggested it in her blog, I bought one and it has been so useful. I get less neck pain :smile:. If you need a laptop and iPad, and even a new cellphone, now is probably the time to get them. I know Apple gives special student discounts. Will you be living in campus or getting an apt? Now is probably the time to get furniture etc.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

if you are buying anything buy a ipad. May be wait a couple of months, until ipad mini comes out. When you do buy that also, if you can, buy one of those pen/app that lets you write on the pad. i dont have have ipad, i wish, cant afford it right now, but they are very helpful. With amount of pdf notes/slides they will throw at you, you are better off with ipad. Also, printing coast is sky high at mcphs. Cell phones, may be if you have ipad, def, any phone with data capablities for the app you have to download for school. Apartment, anything very very very close to school or atleast walking/cycling distance.

• 1 month later...

Archived