Completing PA school with chronic severe depression?

I'm a 25 year old non-traditional student, and I have chronic, severe depression in the form of Major Depression Disorder, diagnosed by a psychiatrist and treated with a combination of therapy and medication. I am, for the most part, emotionally stable, but I still have a few episodes each week which essentially take me out of commission for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I have decided that I want to go into the healthcare field, but I'm not 100% decided on whether I want to attend medical school or PA school. I'm worried that my depression will be a limitation in one or both of these endeavors. I have to receive academic accommodations (through the center for educational access on my campus) in order to complete many of my undergraduate courses. As med school and PA school are both several orders of magnitude more intense than undergrad...well, you can see my problem. Does anyone here have any personal experience grappling with severe and recurrent depressive episodes while in PA school? If not, do you know anyone who did? How did you/they fair? I guess I'm really looking for some encouragement.

I'm a 25 year old non-traditional student, and I have chronic, severe depression in the form of Major Depression Disorder, diagnosed by a psychiatrist and treated with a combination of therapy and medication. I am, for the most part, emotionally stable, but I still have a few episodes each week which essentially take me out of commission for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I have decided that I want to go into the healthcare field, but I'm not 100% decided on whether I want to attend medical school or PA school. I'm worried that my depression will be a limitation in one or both of these endeavors. I have to receive academic accommodations (through the center for educational access on my campus) in order to complete many of my undergraduate courses. As med school and PA school are both several orders of magnitude more intense than undergrad...well, you can see my problem. Does anyone here have any personal experience grappling with severe and recurrent depressive episodes while in PA school? If not, do you know anyone who did? How did you/they fair? I guess I'm really looking for some encouragement.

technocrat626, Of course we can't know if you can keep up with the course work and etc. as that is something you will have to figure out, as you are trying to do here. But I did want to give a comment to somewhat counter-balance comments that may be coming, which might try to discourage you from attempting PA school.

I personally didn't have issues of depression while I was in PA school. A couple of classmates did. But I did experience a single (2-3 year long) episode of severe depression years later. So while I have not had to deal with it chronically, I've had a taste of what it is like.

This is the way I see it. When you are entrapped in the labyrinth of depression, if there is a way out, or a better way, I think it is to function at your highest level possible. Sometimes, and I see it in my patients, that they close their own doors. "I can't do x because I am cursed with this disease of depression, or anxiety (or you name it)." But then, when more and more doors are closed (self-closed) the disease has a better handle on your life. When you do the difficult and succeed, the grips of depression are resisted better (while knowing that there is no magic cure).

So, I recommend that you try to do that which is difficult for you. I never tell patients not to try because of their diagnosis. In the worse case situation, you could have to drop out. One of my classmates, who struggled with severe depression (and I had no clue what that was like at the time) vanished during the clinical year. We were worried that she had committed suicide. But the program chair was able to contact her. Even though she had 80% of PA school over, she couldn't finish. But at least she tried and I hope that she eventually went back and finished.

The other thing is that I don't believe the we clinicians have to be immortal to be good clinicians. A clinician who deals with chronic depression, brings something unique to the table. They have an understanding of mood disorders that few of us will ever grasp.

So those are my words of encouragement.

technocrat626, Of course we can't know if you can keep up with the course work and etc. as that is something you will have to figure out, as you are trying to do here. But I did want to give a comment to somewhat counter-balance comments that may be coming, which might try to discourage you from attempting PA school.

I personally didn't have issues of depression while I was in PA school. A couple of classmates did. But I did experience a single (2-3 year long) episode of severe depression years later. So while I have not had to deal with it chronically, I've had a taste of what it is like.

This is the way I see it. When you are entrapped in the labyrinth of depression, if there is a way out, or a better way, I think it is to function at your highest level possible. Sometimes, and I see it in my patients, that they close their own doors. "I can't do x because I am cursed with this disease of depression, or anxiety (or you name it)." But then, when more and more doors are closed (self-closed) the disease has a better handle on your life. When you do the difficult and succeed, the grips of depression are resisted better (while knowing that there is no magic cure).

So, I recommend that you try to do that which is difficult for you. I never tell patients not to try because of their diagnosis. In the worse case situation, you could have to drop out. One of my classmates, who struggled with severe depression (and I had no clue what that was like at the time) vanished during the clinical year. We were worried that she had committed suicide. But the program chair was able to contact her. Even though she had 80% of PA school over, she couldn't finish. But at least she tried and I hope that she eventually went back and finished.

The other thing is that I don't believe the we clinicians have to be immortal to be good clinicians. A clinician who deals with chronic depression, brings something unique to the table. They have an understanding of mood disorders that few of us will ever grasp.

Well said..especially the last paragraph.

Well said..especially the last paragraph.

I'm a 25 year old non-traditional student, and I have chronic, severe depression in the form of Major Depression Disorder, diagnosed by a psychiatrist and treated with a combination of therapy and medication. I am, for the most part, emotionally stable, but I still have a few episodes each week which essentially take me out of commission for 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I have some thoughts/comments on the above but let me preface this with I do not know you nor have I assessed you nor is this in any way any type of medical advise....just some questions and thoughts (for you to ask yourself). I am an LCSW and do have a bit of a background in mental health, but its hard to give feedback without knowing all the details. But, here goes some thoughts that crossed my mind after reading your entry.....You say for the most part that you are emotionally stable but still have a few episodes a week that last 3-4 hours. Without judging or diagnosing, that alone sounds really quick to be cycling for a "depressive episode".....and again another thought for you to ponder, have you had at least a 2 month (consecutive) period FREE of all symptoms since the onset of the first episode (if you have not then you are missing a huge criteria for a "depressive disorder" diagnosis). Why am I mentioning any of this...well, for several reason. 1) When were you diagnosed and have you continued to have your diagnosis reassessed/reconfirmed and is your "medication cocktail" adjusted accordingly. There is no way to tell if a person who experiences a major depressive episode will develop into depressive disorder or into bipolar disorder or some other variation that is inclusive of depressive episodes. A person may be diagnosed as having major depressive disorder but then have manic episodes, mixed episodes etc. much later on which would then change their diagnosis and possibly their medication. I often times see patients who were given one diagnosis then it evolves into something else....or they simply begin to form a tolerance to meds and need something else. Assuming that your psychiatrist is good and you see him regularly I would guess that your diagnosis and meds are current. If not, make sure you do (and see one regularly) because if your meds arent contributing to you being chemically stable then nothing else will go as planned.

Second, I would suggest if this is something you really want to do then you really need to develop and stick to a solid plan for having emotional support around you while you are in school, and I would also advise in creating a self care plan that you can maintain. You might also benefit from having a safety plan in place as well as a coping plan.

Last, I say try it. Noone on here will be able to tell you if you will succeed until you are in the thick of it. I would not let having a mental health diagnosis sway you from attempting, I would just advise going into it knowing that you will face obstacles and if you can preprepare for some of these obstacles ahead of time you may have a better chance of overcoming them quicker/easier.

Good luck to you!

I'm a 25 year old non-traditional student, and I have chronic, severe depression in the form of Major Depression Disorder, diagnosed by a psychiatrist and treated with a combination of therapy and medication. I am, for the most part, emotionally stable, but I still have a few episodes each week which essentially take me out of commission for 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I have some thoughts/comments on the above but let me preface this with I do not know you nor have I assessed you nor is this in any way any type of medical advise....just some questions and thoughts (for you to ask yourself). I am an LCSW and do have a bit of a background in mental health, but its hard to give feedback without knowing all the details. But, here goes some thoughts that crossed my mind after reading your entry.....You say for the most part that you are emotionally stable but still have a few episodes a week that last 3-4 hours. Without judging or diagnosing, that alone sounds really quick to be cycling for a "depressive episode".....and again another thought for you to ponder, have you had at least a 2 month (consecutive) period FREE of all symptoms since the onset of the first episode (if you have not then you are missing a huge criteria for a "depressive disorder" diagnosis). Why am I mentioning any of this...well, for several reason. 1) When were you diagnosed and have you continued to have your diagnosis reassessed/reconfirmed and is your "medication cocktail" adjusted accordingly. There is no way to tell if a person who experiences a major depressive episode will develop into depressive disorder or into bipolar disorder or some other variation that is inclusive of depressive episodes. A person may be diagnosed as having major depressive disorder but then have manic episodes, mixed episodes etc. much later on which would then change their diagnosis and possibly their medication. I often times see patients who were given one diagnosis then it evolves into something else....or they simply begin to form a tolerance to meds and need something else. Assuming that your psychiatrist is good and you see him regularly I would guess that your diagnosis and meds are current. If not, make sure you do (and see one regularly) because if your meds arent contributing to you being chemically stable then nothing else will go as planned.

Second, I would suggest if this is something you really want to do then you really need to develop and stick to a solid plan for having emotional support around you while you are in school, and I would also advise in creating a self care plan that you can maintain. You might also benefit from having a safety plan in place as well as a coping plan.

Last, I say try it. Noone on here will be able to tell you if you will succeed until you are in the thick of it. I would not let having a mental health diagnosis sway you from attempting, I would just advise going into it knowing that you will face obstacles and if you can preprepare for some of these obstacles ahead of time you may have a better chance of overcoming them quicker/easier.

Good luck to you!

Hi there,

I can offer a little bit of perspective from 2 areas of experience. I am an LPC and have worked with depressed individuals for the past 5 years, and also have had recurrent depression myself- the worst episode hands down occurring while I was in graduate school getting my master's in counseling. During that period, concentration was incredibly difficult ( I had never had any issues with that in my prior academic career). I remember just staring at my study material and reading it over and over, but not digesting a word of it. At that point, I was so low my grades definitely suffered. However, another really rough period occurred last year, but I was able to continue working and functioning, primarily I think because my view is that if I survived the really horrible first episode, nothing could be as bad, and just a few years of experience and added maturity made a difference.

So I guess a couple questions come to mind, since I don't know firsthand your exact situation. Do you have a strong support network? Are you able to identify and dispute irrational beliefs that contribute to your depression? ( basically apply the cognitive therapy techniques you learn in therapy on yourself) I think those are some of the most important things to have in your corner. Despite the fact that you have symptoms during the week, you sound like you are functioning- I think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves thinking that appropriate emotions due to situations are evidence of something being wrong- do a little detective work and see how much of it could be situational, and don't get locked in with "tunnel vision" very easy to do when you're depressed... And give yourself credit too, just the fact that you want to pursue this says you are a determined person, who believes they don't have to let depression lick them. Very best of luck to you, and God bless.

Hi there,

I can offer a little bit of perspective from 2 areas of experience. I am an LPC and have worked with depressed individuals for the past 5 years, and also have had recurrent depression myself- the worst episode hands down occurring while I was in graduate school getting my master's in counseling. During that period, concentration was incredibly difficult ( I had never had any issues with that in my prior academic career). I remember just staring at my study material and reading it over and over, but not digesting a word of it. At that point, I was so low my grades definitely suffered. However, another really rough period occurred last year, but I was able to continue working and functioning, primarily I think because my view is that if I survived the really horrible first episode, nothing could be as bad, and just a few years of experience and added maturity made a difference.

So I guess a couple questions come to mind, since I don't know firsthand your exact situation. Do you have a strong support network? Are you able to identify and dispute irrational beliefs that contribute to your depression? ( basically apply the cognitive therapy techniques you learn in therapy on yourself) I think those are some of the most important things to have in your corner. Despite the fact that you have symptoms during the week, you sound like you are functioning- I think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves thinking that appropriate emotions due to situations are evidence of something being wrong- do a little detective work and see how much of it could be situational, and don't get locked in with "tunnel vision" very easy to do when you're depressed... And give yourself credit too, just the fact that you want to pursue this says you are a determined person, who believes they don't have to let depression lick them. Very best of luck to you, and God bless.

Hi there,

Very well said!

Hi there,

Very well said!

Have you considered becoming a PA and working in the mental health care field? You know the best psych PA's are those that can truly relate to what their patients are going through.

Hi there,

+1 to both of these

Have you considered becoming a PA and working in the mental health care field? You know the best psych PA's are those that can truly relate to what their patients are going through.

Hi there,

+1 to both of these

There is something to be said about someone who can connect with their patients......and not because they studied something in a textbook....

There is something to be said about someone who can connect with their patients......and not because they studied something in a textbook....

A fantastic point. I wish you all the luck and strength in the world!

A fantastic point. I wish you all the luck and strength in the world!

Hey there, I'm new here but when I saw this post I felt compelled to respond!

I'm interested in the PA profession so I came on here to get some more info. Anyway, I'm currently getting my master's degree in biomedical sciences at a health sciences university - and I too have struggled with depression throughout my academic career. Although it has caused major issues in my grades etc. I have found the faculty at my university to be extremely supportive as long as I am willing to communicate what my problems are and what I need. The university also provides free counseling services for students - something that isn't necessarily advertised but is vital for the health of MANY students (you'd be surprised!). The counseling services are a major reason why I'm still sane and in school.

Health care professionals - especially those who work with students - should not be anything but more understanding of what it's like to deal with clinical depression and other mental health issues.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that help is there if you look for it. It is essential to be realistic with your expectations but even more essential to not underestimate yourself!

Best of luck!

Hey there, I'm new here but when I saw this post I felt compelled to respond!

I'm interested in the PA profession so I came on here to get some more info. Anyway, I'm currently getting my master's degree in biomedical sciences at a health sciences university - and I too have struggled with depression throughout my academic career. Although it has caused major issues in my grades etc. I have found the faculty at my university to be extremely supportive as long as I am willing to communicate what my problems are and what I need. The university also provides free counseling services for students - something that isn't necessarily advertised but is vital for the health of MANY students (you'd be surprised!). The counseling services are a major reason why I'm still sane and in school.

Health care professionals - especially those who work with students - should not be anything but more understanding of what it's like to deal with clinical depression and other mental health issues.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that help is there if you look for it. It is essential to be realistic with your expectations but even more essential to not underestimate yourself!

Best of luck!

Thanks for all the responses and the outpouring of support! I expected at least half of the responses to be discouraging, but not a single one has been. I guess I'm too used to the SDN community. :heheh: I have considered becoming a psychiatrist or psych PA, but eventually (with the help of my therapist) decided against it. I'm a very empathetic person. My emotional state tends to be heavily influenced by the emotions of those I'm close to and spend large amounts of time with. If I spent all day every day treating other depressed people, it would be disastrous for me. :xD:

You say for the most part that you are emotionally stable but still have a few episodes a week that last 3-4 hours. Without judging or diagnosing, that alone sounds really quick to be cycling for a "depressive episode".....and again another thought for you to ponder, have you had at least a 2 month (consecutive) period FREE of all symptoms since the onset of the first episode (if you have not then you are missing a huge criteria for a "depressive disorder" diagnosis).

I have ongoing monthly meetings with a psychiatrist, and he concurs with the original diagnosis of major depression disorder. I have had non-depressed periods that lasted a matter of months. My depressive episodes used to last weeks or months at a time, and have just shortened since my last prescription adjustment. I was previously prescribed Wellbutrin, and as of one month ago my psych put me on fluoxetine as an adjunct.

Thanks for all the responses and the outpouring of support! I expected at least half of the responses to be discouraging, but not a single one has been. I guess I'm too used to the SDN community. :heheh: I have considered becoming a psychiatrist or psych PA, but eventually (with the help of my therapist) decided against it. I'm a very empathetic person. My emotional state tends to be heavily influenced by the emotions of those I'm close to and spend large amounts of time with. If I spent all day every day treating other depressed people, it would be disastrous for me. :xD:

You say for the most part that you are emotionally stable but still have a few episodes a week that last 3-4 hours. Without judging or diagnosing, that alone sounds really quick to be cycling for a "depressive episode".....and again another thought for you to ponder, have you had at least a 2 month (consecutive) period FREE of all symptoms since the onset of the first episode (if you have not then you are missing a huge criteria for a "depressive disorder" diagnosis).

I have ongoing monthly meetings with a psychiatrist, and he concurs with the original diagnosis of major depression disorder. I have had non-depressed periods that lasted a matter of months. My depressive episodes used to last weeks or months at a time, and have just shortened since my last prescription adjustment. I was previously prescribed Wellbutrin, and as of one month ago my psych put me on fluoxetine as an adjunct.

Perfect...than it sounds like you have things in control and it sounds like you have alot of insight into your disorder....

use your insight as a strength....

good luck!

Archived