Completing PA school with chronic severe depression?

Thanks for all the responses and the outpouring of support! I expected at least half of the responses to be discouraging, but not a single one has been. I guess I'm too used to the SDN community. :heheh: I have considered becoming a psychiatrist or psych PA, but eventually (with the help of my therapist) decided against it. I'm a very empathetic person. My emotional state tends to be heavily influenced by the emotions of those I'm close to and spend large amounts of time with. If I spent all day every day treating other depressed people, it would be disastrous for me. :xD:

I have ongoing monthly meetings with a psychiatrist, and he concurs with the original diagnosis of major depression disorder. I have had non-depressed periods that lasted a matter of months. My depressive episodes used to last weeks or months at a time, and have just shortened since my last prescription adjustment. I was previously prescribed Wellbutrin, and as of one month ago my psych put me on fluoxetine as an adjunct.

Perfect...than it sounds like you have things in control and it sounds like you have alot of insight into your disorder....

use your insight as a strength....

good luck!

Well, I just spoke to my psychiatrist this morning. I asked him, "Do you think an individual like myself, with chronic severe depression, can make it through medical school?" His response: "I've had a chronic, severe depression disorder for my entire life. I made it through med school. So yes."

That's all I needed to hear. :-D I'm still undecided on whether I want to be a physician or a PA. There are lots of factors involved in that. But at least I can make the decision without worrying that my mental health will prevent me from completing the more academically taxing route.

Well, I just spoke to my psychiatrist this morning. I asked him, "Do you think an individual like myself, with chronic severe depression, can make it through medical school?" His response: "I've had a chronic, severe depression disorder for my entire life. I made it through med school. So yes."

That's all I needed to hear. :-D I'm still undecided on whether I want to be a physician or a PA. There are lots of factors involved in that. But at least I can make the decision without worrying that my mental health will prevent me from completing the more academically taxing route.

Archived