Already signed another contract and then dream offer came...

Hi all, 

I got myself into a bit of a situation as a new grad and would like some professional advice on how to handle it... 

Long story short, I had been job searching in MI for a couple of months, but was only finding and being offered Urgent Care positions with no paid training period, and would be the solo provider on site. I ended up accepting one with decent benefits and pay at $50 per hour. I started "training" (seeing patients for free) with one of their existing providers until my license comes through to get the hang of the office. Needless to say, although I had already signed the contract, I felt uneasy about starting the position.

A week or two later I received an interview via LinkedIn for a private solo provider psychiatry office, went, and received a phenomenal offer I simply can not turn down. $75 per hour, PTO at 14 days a year, 7 unpaid personal days, Psychiatrist works mon-thurs 9-7pm, after I am comfortable I can set my own hours, *I will have to pay for my own malpractice insurance, CME and health benefits, they offer FT employees an additional $300 a month for extra expenses*, I'm aware that these expenses are pricey and I have quotes for everything I must pay out of pocket, even estimating everything on the high end I will still be making substantially more than at the urgent care. Office does not accept Medicaid or Medicare. SP states most patients are high functioning and SES. Psychology was my undergraduate degree and I loved my inpatient psych rotation. Truthfully, I would take this position even if it paid less than UC due to my passion for the specialty, decreased stress, provider on site, and flexible scheduling. 

Now, I am still waiting on my license, but it will likely arrive this week. I am aware that I need to renege the UC position, but not only is it unprofessional, I know they are having a hard time filling all of their shifts, so I feel bad for leaving them in a predicament like this. Also, my contract asks for a 60 day notice, but I believe MI is an at-will state. Anyone have any experience with this? Since I haven't started working and they haven't been able to get me credentialed without my license, do you think I should/may have to work for them for 60 days? And even if by law I am not bound, should I volunteer to work Fri, Sat, or Sun shifts they may need help with while I begin the other position? I do plan on obtaining a per diem UC position in the future to keep my clinical skills sharp. Obviously, I should have never signed the contract with a position that doesn't provide paid training for a new grad in the first place. Thoughts, words of wisdom, criticisms are appreciated. Thanks. 

You are already working for free...you owe them nothing at this point.  I certainly wouldn't volunteer to work for free just because they are short staffed.  If you want to give 60 days notice and continue to train so you can pick up per diem UC later, that's the only way I can see it being beneficial for you.  You might give notice and they might cut you loose - you aren't credentialed so it's not necessarily worth their time to train you further.

Thank you EMEDPA & MT2PA for your replies.

I sent this letter, because regardless of the other position, the biggest issue is that I would be a solo provider as a new grad and no formal training prior. I had a lawyer review my contract and if they push for me to work the 60 days, then I may decline based on my current lack of license and therefore inability to perform the tasks needed for the job. 

Dear Hiring Manager,

I’d like to thank you for the opportunity to work with ___ Urgent Care and appreciate the time you took in selecting me for the position. I enjoyed getting to meet you and the staff at the ___location.  

Unfortunately, after giving a great deal of thought to this career opportunity, I have decided that it is in my best interest, as well as the practice’s, to rescind the job offer. As a new grad without any formal training program, I do not feel that I will be able to fulfill the needs of the clinic and the patients. This fact was not fully understood until I shadowed the two providers on staff and realized the amount of autonomy I must hold. 

I have recently decided to accept another position that I believe is a better fit for my abilities and skill set. The position is in another specialty where I will have training and direct contact with my supervising physician for questions throughout my shifts. I am so sorry for any inconvenience my decision may cause. 

Once again, I'd like to express my gratitude for the offer and my regrets that it didn't work out. You have my best wishes in finding someone more suitable for the position.

Archived