What is the process of creating a clinical site or at least an affiliation with a doctor or organization for one student to do a rotation at? I have been desperately trying to get clinical rotations in CA, my home, while I am currently out of state. I have situational depression and I know that being able to do rotations back at home would help immensely with my focus, happiness, and health, but my school won't budge in helping me. Their reasoning was that it's too much work for them to make affiliations with new sites. I have found doctors willing to take me in for rotations though, so the only thing left would be the paperwork which I thought was in large part filled out by the preceptor. Does anyone know anything about this, and if so, could you please help me understand?

Schools have to do a LOT of leg work.  Even if they don't set up the rotation (i.e. find you the preceptor/affiliation) they ARE responsible for ensuring that the site is meeting ARC standards and you are getting the experience you are supposed to.  That is on the school - they have a lot of paperwork to do for that, sometimes site visits, etc etc.  

If they have perfectly good sites already set up, they have no incentive to spend their time and energy to go through the process for one student.  Some schools allow only a few so called 'self ID' sites because of this and others don't allow any.  Sometimes they will go through the hoops if it could potentially lead to a permanent affiliated preceptor.  

Basically it's unfortunate your school won't do it but there's likely not a lot you can do to rectify the situation.  Often they have these policies in place and apparent upfront ( you can ask at interviews if they allow self ID or away rotations for example).

6 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Schools have to do a LOT of leg work.  Even if they don't set up the rotation (i.e. find you the preceptor/affiliation) they ARE responsible for ensuring that the site is meeting ARC standards and you are getting the experience you are supposed to.  That is on the school - they have a lot of paperwork to do for that, sometimes site visits, etc etc.  

If they have perfectly good sites already set up, they have no incentive to spend their time and energy to go through the process for one student.  Some schools allow only a few so called 'self ID' sites because of this and others don't allow any.  Sometimes they will go through the hoops if it could potentially lead to a permanent affiliated preceptor.  

Basically it's unfortunate your school won't do it but there's likely not a lot you can do to rectify the situation.  Often they have these policies in place and apparent upfront ( you can ask at interviews if they allow self ID or away rotations for example).

Thank you for answering! My school does have affiliations with sites right near my original home, but the affiliations are with other parts of the school, like the CCOM branch. Do you know if that still is a ton of work if an agreement is already in place, just for med students as opposed to PA?

It probably is.  The PA program has to have all the paperwork in place to prove to ARC that they are meeting standards.  Med schools have different governing bodies so while it likely means it IS a good site, the PA program still has to do their due diligence and their own set of paperwork

Archived