Non-CASPA schools

• 2 months later...

I am also looking for no CASPA.   Pity.  I like Yale and Cornell and Upstate.  So I will not apply there.

Instead, I must focus on RIT and Downstate if I want to stay in NY.  

The reason not is that CaSPa forces a contract requiring all applicants to deed their personal privacy rights and histories to that private group CASPA as a condition to becoming a PA and working anywhere.   That means they can reveal my personal records to whomever they want and whatever newspaper they want at any time, even if it is personal and even it it would violate HIPAA criminal laws and they can sell it to anyone they want and they can change it and add adverse comments like adding a criminal history that does not exist.  Whatever they want because I would lose my rights to my own name and history, just for the chance to work.   Since they are private, they are regulated by no government agency or law.   They can do what they want with my good name and ruin it.  

1 hour ago, KLean said:

The reason not is that CaSPa forces a contract requiring all applicants to deed their personal privacy rights and histories to that private group CASPA as a condition to becoming a PA and working anywhere.   That means they can reveal my personal records to whomever they want and whatever newspaper they want at any time, even if it is personal and even it it would violate HIPAA criminal laws and they can sell it to anyone they want and they can change it and add adverse comments like adding a criminal history that does not exist.  Whatever they want because I would lose my rights to my own name and history, just for the chance to work.   Since they are private, they are regulated by no government agency or law.   They can do what they want with my good name and ruin it.  

Just FYI, here's a snippet from CASPA's privacy policies, relating to what you claim above:

image.png.ab079ebb88eef7c2e129a228b82b1d01.png

So no, they're not going to "ruin your good name." In fact, I'd be more concerned about schools that DON'T utilize CASPA, because who knows what system they are using to collect your information, or how they are circulating it amongst themselves. 

Yes, there are risks associated with sharing your personal information with any program, PA or otherwise. There will always be data breaches so long as we share information. But closing yourself off to a vast majority of opportunities by thinking they're going to steal your data and do something nefarious with it seems rather extreme. It reminds me of an analogy from one of my computer programming friends - you can make a house extremely secure by filling it with concrete, but doing so makes it much harder to use than a simple lock on the front door.

Archived