2018-2019 Application Cycle

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 4:47 PM, pblitz said:

I was at an open house and was told they don’t start sending out invites until the end of August (about 5 weeks prior to the first interview date)!

How was the open house? I’m too far away to attend. Anything that stood out or was interesting if u don’t mind me asking.

Edited by charmalarm

8 hours ago, charmalarm said:

How was the open house? I’m too far away to attend. Anything that stood out or was interesting if u don’t mind me asking.

I really enjoyed it! I went in with some reservations about the program and about PBL but it was explained very well so my perspective changed a bit. I definitely see the value in PBL and how it allows students to think clinically. You do still have class with lecture each week but PBL is 3x a week in the mornings. Its good for students who maybe struggle learning from power point slides all the time, all the students said because of PBL they felt prepared during their clinicals. They discussed clinical rotations and the students said they have the ability to really go wherever and Chatham is very helpful in figuring out where to place you in those far away locations. One student chose to stay and do all of her rotations in Pittsburgh but another is doing two in Utah, one in Montana, and one in Africa, so that was pretty cool! They also said they mostly got their first picks for elective rotations. The other thing that stood out was it's basically a "pass/fail" structure. You have to get a certain percentage to pass in your classes but don't expect to pulling out 95%. You do a review period after your exams where you go back and write mini essays on the ones you got wrong and submit them. There could be times you're doing 35 mini essays which I am sure gets very tedious but at least you get the opportunity to see what you've gotten wrong. Let me know if you have any questions or if I didn't explain that well enough haha. I'm sure that was a bit confusing!

16 hours ago, pblitz said:

I really enjoyed it! I went in with some reservations about the program and about PBL but it was explained very well so my perspective changed a bit. I definitely see the value in PBL and how it allows students to think clinically. You do still have class with lecture each week but PBL is 3x a week in the mornings. Its good for students who maybe struggle learning from power point slides all the time, all the students said because of PBL they felt prepared during their clinicals. They discussed clinical rotations and the students said they have the ability to really go wherever and Chatham is very helpful in figuring out where to place you in those far away locations. One student chose to stay and do all of her rotations in Pittsburgh but another is doing two in Utah, one in Montana, and one in Africa, so that was pretty cool! They also said they mostly got their first picks for elective rotations. The other thing that stood out was it's basically a "pass/fail" structure. You have to get a certain percentage to pass in your classes but don't expect to pulling out 95%. You do a review period after your exams where you go back and write mini essays on the ones you got wrong and submit them. There could be times you're doing 35 mini essays which I am sure gets very tedious but at least you get the opportunity to see what you've gotten wrong. Let me know if you have any questions or if I didn't explain that well enough haha. I'm sure that was a bit confusing!

No that’s very helpful! Thank you for sharing .  Anything about when they will send invites? 

Hi guys! 

I applied last year (and start on Monday, yay!) and I didn’t actually get my interview invite until I think 10 days out. Just want y’all to know to stay on your toes! I was not expecting the invite at all and figured it was too late, but it came when I least expected it! 

Best of luck to all of you! :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I received an interview invitation for September 29th as well! See you guys there!

In their email it said that we can get discounted hotel stays if we say that we're interviewing at Chatham the next day. There was a link to "accommodations" but it didn't work for me. If anyone figures this out or finds a good hotel deal let me know! 

• Upvote 1