24 years old starting from scratch...

So I'm 24 almost 25. I graduated with a BA in journalism and ended up taking a job with Americorps after graduation. I worked with highschool students with disabilities as well as adults. During 2011 I was introduced to a wide range of therapy jobs that really got me interested. I explored the world of Occupational Therapy and shadowed an OT throughout the year but have ultimately decided that therapy is not the route I want to take. My dad is an Md so I've had a lot of exposure to what it is nurses and PA's do but was never interested until now. I have a long road ahead of me to get into PA school with no science background.

I've just recently moved and am signing up for Bio and Chem this summer. I am also going to sign up for a CNA program so that I can get my feet wet as well as get experience. I know a PA down here and have been talking to her about it and will do some shadowing with her so I can see what it's all about. There are a few PA schools in my area and Touro is just up north so I have scheduled some appointments to talk with them to help advise me on the pre-req rout to take as well as HCE. I am a tad discouraged that I have to start all of this so late and wish I had taken the time to explore the health care world earlier on but that's life I guess. Anyone have some good words of wisdom or advice?

24 is still young! Sure, you'll probably have two years give or take of pre-reqs, but consider that many students are in their late 20s - early 30s while in school.

As for myself, I was in a somewhat similar situation. I earned my BS in biology. My GPA was average, and I had no health care experience. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but when I decided that I wanted to become a PA, I knew that my stats weren't competitive. I ended up going back to school; I took some post-bach classes and eventually got my MS in anatomy. During that time I shadowed and volunteered for three years while back in school. I started PA school when I was 28. While I didn't have to start from scratch, I did have to work hard and focus all of my attention on getting into PA school. No regrets - it can be done. Best of luck!

24 is still young! Sure, you'll probably have two years give or take of pre-reqs, but consider that many students are in their late 20s - early 30s while in school.

As for myself, I was in a somewhat similar situation. I earned my BS in biology. My GPA was average, and I had no health care experience. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but when I decided that I wanted to become a PA, I knew that my stats weren't competitive. I ended up going back to school; I took some post-bach classes and eventually got my MS in anatomy. During that time I shadowed and volunteered for three years while back in school. I started PA school when I was 28. While I didn't have to start from scratch, I did have to work hard and focus all of my attention on getting into PA school. No regrets - it can be done. Best of luck!

I'm 35 with a human resources degree and I am starting PA this July (complete career change for me) at Touro University Nevada . Your young; don't let your age stop you from achieving your goals it's just a number. It took me about a year and a half to finish the pre-reqs. On top of that I continue to do volunteer work at a local free clinic counseling patients as well as some paramedic courses to get more hands on experience. Good luck!

I'm 35 with a human resources degree and I am starting PA this July (complete career change for me) at Touro University Nevada . Your young; don't let your age stop you from achieving your goals it's just a number. It took me about a year and a half to finish the pre-reqs. On top of that I continue to do volunteer work at a local free clinic counseling patients as well as some paramedic courses to get more hands on experience. Good luck!

I was 33 when I changed careers from finance to health care. After working in hospitals for five years in IONM I decided I wanted to become a PA (at 38). I'm beginning my PA program this fall (at 41). You are on the right track and absolutely have plenty of time. After going back to school I realize that I wasn't mature enough to get into and through a PA program at 21 or probably 25 (maybe 30!). Once you have some life experience and really know what you want and what it takes to get there, it is much easier to focus and achieve your goals. Good Luck!

I was 33 when I changed careers from finance to health care. After working in hospitals for five years in IONM I decided I wanted to become a PA (at 38). I'm beginning my PA program this fall (at 41). You are on the right track and absolutely have plenty of time. After going back to school I realize that I wasn't mature enough to get into and through a PA program at 21 or probably 25 (maybe 30!). Once you have some life experience and really know what you want and what it takes to get there, it is much easier to focus and achieve your goals. Good Luck!

You seem to be absolutely on the right track. I started college at 21 after 3 years in the army. Life and family happened, so I was 27 when I became an LPN, 32 when I became and RN, and PA graduation was 5 weeks before my 40th birthday. I don't suggest doing it on my timeline if you have a choice, but there is no age that is too old to start, imo.

You seem to be absolutely on the right track. I started college at 21 after 3 years in the army. Life and family happened, so I was 27 when I became an LPN, 32 when I became and RN, and PA graduation was 5 weeks before my 40th birthday. I don't suggest doing it on my timeline if you have a choice, but there is no age that is too old to start, imo.

Hi, to go along with what everyone else said, you are pretty young in the grand scheme of things, you have your whole life to work and when you start school you will have more life experience than the younger ones..that is worth something. I'm 27 and in my 1st year and I'm glad I took my time to figure out what I wanted to do..it will be worth it in the end.

Hi, to go along with what everyone else said, you are pretty young in the grand scheme of things, you have your whole life to work and when you start school you will have more life experience than the younger ones..that is worth something. I'm 27 and in my 1st year and I'm glad I took my time to figure out what I wanted to do..it will be worth it in the end.

Like others have said, you're not too old at all. Sounds like a good plan so far: shadowing, CNA for HCE, starting prereqs. Make sure you have good grades, try to learn as much as you can on the job, and don't be afraid to ask everyone you meet in health care questions about their role. I've spent two years getting ready and this next cycle I'll apply. Do some searches in the forums here, esp. the sticky noted posts in the PrePA section. Check out some blogs (mine is here, there are others linked from mine), look at some of PA schools you are interested in, and keep track of the things you do to prepare (volunteering, training, etc). Good luck!

Like others have said, you're not too old at all. Sounds like a good plan so far: shadowing, CNA for HCE, starting prereqs. Make sure you have good grades, try to learn as much as you can on the job, and don't be afraid to ask everyone you meet in health care questions about their role. I've spent two years getting ready and this next cycle I'll apply. Do some searches in the forums here, esp. the sticky noted posts in the PrePA section. Check out some blogs (mine is here, there are others linked from mine), look at some of PA schools you are interested in, and keep track of the things you do to prepare (volunteering, training, etc). Good luck!

I am 22 years old.

I do not even have an associates degree. I dropped out of college in 2009 because

I got what I thought was the job offer of my life in business administration (restaurant business

to be precise.) Now I realize that I cannot do this for the rest of my life. I sometimes

love the business world, most of the time I despise it.

Now I found medicine. I started school this year again. I am also currently volunteering at

a private MD clinic.

Very hard stuff, considering I work over 60 hours a week. I hope I can be strong.

I hope I do not give up. You are not alone in your rough journey. I hope to be

26 or 27 but the time I apply to a PA school.

Archived