Hospitalist salary expectations

I have recently relocated to the Dallas area and have an interview for a Hospitalist position. It is 7on/7off nights (10p-7a) with no PTO. I am not sure of other benefits as I have not interviewed yet but will not be needing any health insurance as I get that with my husband. I have 10 years experience in August with my time spent in the ICU and high volume ERs. Other offers I have been given in other areas have been significantly lower then I was previously making in the Houston( lower COL) and Northern VA (not significantly higher COL). I am wondering what pay I should realistically expect for this type of position? Despite my years practicing and different jobs negotiating is definitely not my strong suit. 

Dallas from what Ive heard does seem to be in the lower range of salary. Idk with your experience, but my colleague started at 100k as new grad for hospital position in Dallas. For comparison, my former coworker is in Austin with 7 years experience making 141k with 7 on 7 off schedule. 

3 hours ago, NJPL1213 said:

Dallas from what Ive heard does seem to be in the lower range of salary. Idk with your experience, but my colleague started at 100k as new grad for hospital position in Dallas. For comparison, my former coworker is in Austin with 7 years experience making 141k with 7 on 7 off schedule. 

This sounds about right.  Dallas pay doesn't seem as good as other areas of TX.  It will also depend on which group it is(i.e. Questcare seemed on the lower end when I was job hunting a few years ago).

So I received an offer of $61/hr, potential of $9000 bonus if meet certain criteria which they say are outlined and reasonable and people get close to or meet yearly but recruiter could not provide what they were. No PTO, $1500 for CME but no days off, reimbursement for licensing, 401k with match, offer Health insurance but is not needed. Thoughts? 

So with your 7 on 7 off schedule, each shift being 9 hours, you will be working a total of 1638 hours/yr x 61/hr= ~100k. Like I said my friend was a new grad making that and with your 10 years experience I feel like you should be making a little more, even if it is Dallas. Any mention of overtime? No PTO? No mention of CME days? Hmm...

If you decline health insurance will they increase compensation? Also I am curious what the criteria of the 9k bonus entails. 

I was also thinking i should be making a little more, even in Dallas. There is no overtime and you are expected to do the CME during your weeks off. Given all these facts and after reviewing the last salary report I was thinking of countering them at $67/hr and going from there. Unfortunately this is the job that will work best for my family so that may end up winning out. 

Archived