Compensation as a new grad

Hey everyone, it's my first time  actually posting on this site, but I've found its many resources to be invaluable.  I'm a second year PA student in Pennsylvania, and will be graduating in a few months.  My interest is in the acute side of medicine: EM, urgent care, etc. I've seriously begun the interviewing process in the last few weeks, but am waiting to hear back on most of my applications.  I realize similar questions have been asked before...

My questions are:

-How many jobs did you guys apply to as new grads (assuming you weren't offered a job on rotation)?

-Assuming benefits like health insurance, malpractice are covered, what would be the minimum you would accept as a new grad in EM or urgent care?  I live in Pennsylvania, and my first offer was a total lowball, but I'm trying to get an idea of where others started in the same field.

Thanks folks

46 minutes ago, Salesian said:

My questions are:

-How many jobs did you guys apply to as new grads (assuming you weren't offered a job on rotation)?

-Assuming benefits like health insurance, malpractice are covered, what would be the minimum you would accept as a new grad in EM or urgent care?  I live in Pennsylvania, and my first offer was a total lowball, but I'm trying to get an idea of where others started in the same field.

Thanks folks

Hi,

I graduate in a couple of months, too.

1. I applied to about 25 jobs. A mix of primary care, hospitalist, and EM. I applied to positions in the southeast and on the west coast. Results: 5 interviews, 2 offers, 1 pending decision.

2. Based on feedback from peers and info in the AAPA salary report, I had different minimums that I was willing to accept depending on location. EM in Southeast: my minimum was $45-55/hr. EM on west coast $60-70/hr. My southeast offer fell within my range. My west coast offer was above my minimum. 

Definitely talk with your peers as you're going through this process. You'll be able to get a better gauge for new grad salary for your area. 

Best of luck!

i graduate in july, applied to about 10 jobs, 3 interviews  3 offers. one was in EM, $54/hr days, 57/evenings, $59/nights, upper midwest. Hope that helps.

also i applied for UC jobs that paid $54/hr starting but they wanted someone with experience. Turned down ER offer.

Thanks for the replies, you guys are confirming what I had thought.  I have applied for about 10 jobs so far, and plan on applying to 5-10 more in the next week.  I don't think I would accept less than $50/hr or $100k/yr, particularly in a busy ER environment. 

There is a whole sub-forum with years worth of examples of good and bad offers. Not to be that guy, but you should read at least the past two years worth of posts in that forum. It’ll make you a semi-qualified expert on what is acceptable. 90% or so of the offers in that sub forum are new grad offers

Depends on your location in Pennsylvania - West PA tends to pay significantly less than Central and Eastern. The Pittsburgh market for PAs reveals an abundance of open positions; however, there is an abundance of PA programs which seems to offset the supply and demand in the region in favor of the employers. 

UPMC and USACS hold majority of the ED and hospitalist sites in Western PA, Emcare has slowly been creeping into the area. Below are some starting salaries that some of my students have been offered in the past.

UPMC - $38-40/hr - offers great benefits, sign on bonus, also nonprofit so student loans possibly eligible for forgiveness, extensive vacation time (208 hours PTO per year), 3-5% raises annually

US Acute Care solutions - $61, medical benefits moderately priced, great retirement with 10% company contribution, No vacation time, RVU hourly incentives

Emcare - about $50/hr regardless of experience plus RVU bonus

Other locums and small staffing companies in the north/central state pay upwards of $90/hr but often you are employed as an independent contractor with no benefit and subject to self employment tax.

Most companies are very stiff when it comes to negotiation.

Unfortunately when it comes to pay, PA is not the PA state.

Archived