HELP Looking to switch from psych to urgent care/EM

HELP!

I'm currently a inpatient psych PA. I have been working for almost a year now. I graduated in 2017.

I enjoy it occasionally, but can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life.

I'm looking to move to Charlotte, NC and have recently been applying to urgent care/EM/family med around the area and don't seem to be getting many calls back. Any suggestions to help me make get noticed for this positions and make the switch out of psych?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Well, other than that, I got nothing.  However, all other things being equal, I suspect the applicant with an active license would be more competitive.  Also, psych is the most underrepresented specialty; I understand you want to move away from it, but you may want to emphasize this aspect to get a foot hold.

Well, other than that, I got nothing.  However, all other things being equal, I suspect the applicant with an active license would be more competitive.  Also, psych is the most underrepresented specialty; I understand you want to move away from it, but you may want to emphasize this aspect to get a foot hold.

I agree! I’ve let the positions I’ve applied for know it’s pending, but I can see how that would make a difference.
It is underrepresented. I have tried to emphasize some of the qualities that I may have that others outside of psych may not. I think my psych experience would be highly beneficial to a family practice or other general specialities. I’ve also tried to emphasize that inpatient I also do a lot more comprehensive care than solely psych, but I don’t think I’m making it past the first cut because all they see is “psychiatric PA” on my resume and I’m cut. That may just be catastrophic thinking... [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it working in psych specifically that you don't like, or the people you work with and/or job? 
From what I hear Inpatient is a lot different than outpatient. But then again, I really have no idea. 

That’s something I debated for a while, but I think it’s just psych specifically (with a little combination of not loving the hours I work). I’m basically a hospitalist working inpatient as I do comprehensive care rather than just psych. I enjoy the general med care aspect, but don’t love the psych part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Perhaps if you're CV said something like medical management of hospitalized psychiatric patients you'd look more attractive to the sorts of employers your seeking, especially if you listed some bullet points about what non-psyche conditions you managed and if you did any procedures such as suturing or I&D's.

Good thought. I had made mention to doing both medical/psychiatric management, but listing the actual bullet points, along with procedures I do, will be more eye-catching! Thank you :)

Archived