PA Students

Hey Folks,

I have a student precepting with me. The other day I was told by our business manager that we can no longer bill for procedures performed by the PA-S. Apparently someone sued a teaching hospital for insurance fraud because the student did the procedure and not the PA-C and it was a mess. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this true? Now my group is debating not bringing students on board because of this reason. What do you folks know/do about this?

Thanks.

Hey Folks,

I have a student precepting with me. The other day I was told by our business manager that we can no longer bill for procedures performed by the PA-S. Apparently someone sued a teaching hospital for insurance fraud because the student did the procedure and not the PA-C and it was a mess. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this true? Now my group is debating not bringing students on board because of this reason. What do you folks know/do about this?

Thanks.

The problem with this lies in the precedent: someone got sued and someone else got wind of it. Now there will be a tightening down, warranted or not. But PAs still need to learn to do procedures, med students still have to learn - we all have to learn. So the question is this: do teaching institutions fold because they can no longer bill enough? If so, what happens with the next generation of providers coming through? I'll tell you what: disaster. At my clinic, as long as the licensed attending does the key parts of the exam, billing for the visit is legit. I can't comment on procedures. But it would make sense to bill for any procedure done with the attending MD or PA directly supervising. My plan is to continue having students and training them and I will encourage all my colleagues to do the same. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us financially, but if that is what's going to happen, then so be it. The next class needs to learn, right?

Andrew

The problem with this lies in the precedent: someone got sued and someone else got wind of it. Now there will be a tightening down, warranted or not. But PAs still need to learn to do procedures, med students still have to learn - we all have to learn. So the question is this: do teaching institutions fold because they can no longer bill enough? If so, what happens with the next generation of providers coming through? I'll tell you what: disaster. At my clinic, as long as the licensed attending does the key parts of the exam, billing for the visit is legit. I can't comment on procedures. But it would make sense to bill for any procedure done with the attending MD or PA directly supervising. My plan is to continue having students and training them and I will encourage all my colleagues to do the same. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us financially, but if that is what's going to happen, then so be it. The next class needs to learn, right?

Andrew

Archived