Low GPA, Odds of Acceptance

Hi Everyone!

I'll try to keep it short, so here's my stats.

Undergraduate GPA from University of Cincinnati (Health Sciences Degree): 3.54 

Self Calculated (Approximate) CASPA Non Science GPA: 3.578

Self Calculated (Approximate) CASPA Science GPA: 3.232 

I've retaken some courses in which I initially had some "C's" in at a CC which I'm assuming is going to be considered Post Bacc work in which I've received a 4.0

I still have C's on my transcript for the following courses from back in Freshmen-Sophomore year: Organic II, Physics II, Exercise Physiology & Algebra II 

Direct Patient Care Hours: 2700+ Orthopedic Technician in pediatrics

Shadowing Hours: Orthopedic Surgeon/ PA: 100+

Volunteer Hours: 50

LOR: 3 Surgeons, 2 PA's, 2 Professors

"Positive Upward GPA trend from Fresh - Senior Year." 

GRE: Not taken yet

Realistically, given my current profile aside from knowing I need to score high on the GRE. Do I have a chance of/ what are my odds of getting into a PA School or what can I do to improve my resume for admission. Any & ALL advice/help regardless of how harsh or critical it might be is greatly appreciated! 

To answer your question, yes you do have a chance. Your cumulative GPA is fine, science is low obviously but not that bad. I think if you have a strong personal statement and do well on the GRE you will definitely get some interviews if you apply to the right schools. By that I mean, ones that look at applicants holistically, not just ones with extremely high GPA's. Do your research on those schools, there's lots of them and apply early. A couple C's won't kill you as an applicant, once you get to the interview- sell yourself & be confident. I had lower GPA stats and received lots of interviews and a few acceptances! Also, that's a lot of LOR's. I know for the schools I applied to, most only wanted 3 so if that's the case- make sure to take the 3/4 best ones and have those on file for CASPA, one of them being from the 2 PA's preferably. Goodluck, you got this!

14 hours ago, KPayne said:

To answer your question, yes you do have a chance. Your cumulative GPA is fine, science is low obviously but not that bad. I think if you have a strong personal statement and do well on the GRE you will definitely get some interviews if you apply to the right schools. By that I mean, ones that look at applicants holistically, not just ones with extremely high GPA's. Do your research on those schools, there's lots of them and apply early. A couple C's won't kill you as an applicant, once you get to the interview- sell yourself & be confident. I had lower GPA stats and received lots of interviews and a few acceptances! Also, that's a lot of LOR's. I know for the schools I applied to, most only wanted 3 so if that's the case- make sure to take the 3/4 best ones and have those on file for CASPA, one of them being from the 2 PA's preferably. Goodluck, you got this!

Okay that definitely gives me a sigh of relief. What schools would you recommend off the top of your head? I have a running list of schools currently that I'm interested in and I have researched schools that seems to require a lower minimum GPA such as a 2.75 or so but I'm not sure as to some of the better programs that would look at my application "holistically" versus more statistically based. As far as the LOR those are just the references I can receive them from. So you are all saying utilize the letters from the professionals (Surgeons & PA's) considering they would hold more weight to an admissions committee versus my undergraduate professors? I've also ran into a couple schools that did not require the GRE...Is there some sort of "catch" to these schools seeing as the majority have the GRE as a requirement? Lastly, where did all of you end up deciding on going to PA school at? Thank you all so much for your helpful advice and kind words, I appreciate it so much! 

Archived