Should I go to PA school or Healthcare Administration?

I'm 25 and I have a Bachelor's degree in marketing. However, I have always wanted to be a dermatologist's PA as long as I can remember, but didn't think I should/could because of the money. My plan back in freshman year was to get a fairly easy business degree and then save up to go to grad school and work in the business side of healthcare. I've been accepted to a Master's program in Healthcare Administration but I've had doubts ever since I got the letter because I can't even find a job as a front desk employee for a healthcare facility. I've done a lot of research on HC Administration and have worked in executive administrative positions in order to help me get an entry-level position/internship but nobody is interested because I don't have any clinical experience. 

My question is, do I register for classes and earn my MHA in hopes that job prospects will open up once I finish grad school, or do I pursue my original dream of being a PA?

Should I forget PA school entirely and get certified to work in a clinical position for a while before trying the HC Admin route again?

The only big thing really holding me back from PA school is that I didn't get a bachelor's in any science discipline (big mistake, I should've realized sooner). I would have to start completely from the bottom and get a whole new bachelor's degree while going to EMT school/working as an EMT to earn my hours before I can even think about applying to PA school.

Has anyone been in this situation before? I've read lots of posts about similar situations and it's been great, but I just need a little extra help with this one! Any advice would be great. 

Thank you all for your help! 

As long as you complete (and do well in) the appropriate prerequisite classes for whichever PA programs you are interested in applying to, what you got your bachelor's degree in should not matter. I have heard of many PAs who got their bachelor's degree in something non-science related. One girl who I interviewed with got her bachelor's degree in business administration (or something similar to that) and had been accepted to 4 programs. If the only thing really holding you back from pursing PA school is that you got your bachelor's in marketing, rest assured that it is not a big issue! 

• Upvote 1

You have to take the gen chems, gen bios, human health sciences and medical terminology for a lot of programs. A majority of the higher caliber programs require upper level bios such as genetics, microbio, biochem and very rarely - organic chemistry. If you can dedicate a year or two to taking these classes at a community college, I think you'd be fine. You have to take the GRE as well and get a LOR from a physician assistant. Like LGonz said, as long as you have a bachelor's degree in something, programs don't care as long as you have your prereq. classes knocked out.

I have known two people who pursued a master's in health administration and both have had difficulty finding jobs afterward because they were so young and lacked clinical experience. One person actually worked at a restaurant as a waitress for about a year after her master's and the other applied to nine jobs, had nine interviews, but no offers and is graduating this semester. It's definitely very challenging after the program. Other than that, I don't know much about it.

I know someone who got a masters in health administration and she did a fellowship I believe in her second year. She has a good job now making $60k/year and enjoys it. It’s a completely different field than PA though and easier to get into. It’s such a broad field that getting a job shouldn’t be that difficult I’m assuming? My friend had little difficulty finding a job.

• 1 year later...