Commitment to Diversity

If you are working in a hospital or clinic pay close attention to the cultural, social, economic and religious differences in your patients and how they impact the way you use medicine! Examples for me have been with low income families, indian health services and the medicine man, different religions such has Jehovah's witnesses, catholic, and others. This may be very different for where you live!

I don't come from a typically "diverse" background, but I was able to show my diversity through the communities I have volunteered and worked with!

A couple personal examples; I work as a PT Aide in a limb lengthening center specializing in birth defects.  We are one of the very few in the world that does what we do, so we get a ton of people from around the world.  I've had to learn to cater to different cultures and customs, such as Arabic patients, Orthodox Jews, you name it.  

I am also a volunteer interpreter at a free clinic where we treat many migrant workers and illegal immigrants. 

They definitely want to see how you adapt to these different customs or traditions and also show that you can eventually treat a wide demographic of patients as a PA.

Archived