Loosing Hope - but not completly

Hi everyone!

I am currently a senior in in final year of undergrad and I guess this is the time when I sit back and think, DAMN what am i going to do with my life. For as long as I can remember, I had always wanted to become a PA and change the lives of other because I feel like it will change my life! SAD thing is, my GPA is way below par. Let's just say - its probably not even close to a 3.0 like I would want to it to be. That being said, I have a thirst for knowledge and I'm not giving up! I will work my butt off this semester and get a job where I can gain experience and change my life around 360.

I see a lot of people doing graduate school. Would it make sense for me to do a postbacc program or should I just retake all my classes that are asked of me and then apply to PA school? Also, taking online classes - should I or should I not? Anything that will help motivate me is most welcome here.

PS. if you are one of those pessamistic people on this forum that will tell me I can't make it and I should probably quit while I can please don't respond to this thread but I look forward to telling you I made it sometime soon!

If I were you I would forget about a postbacc program and retake any classes that you did not perform well in, especially the science classes. After far as online classes go, thats up to you. Do you learn a lot from onlince classes? If so, then take them. Personally, I don't learn anything from online classes. They seem to be just busy work. Most of the classes you will need for PA school (pre-reqs) will not available online because they require labs.

As far as low GPA goes, most schools will look at the last 60 credits of your GPA is below 3.0 something. Some top notch HCE will help offset a lower GPA. Good luck to you.

Hey, I'm also a senior in college, I applied to PA schools last year with about a 3.9 science and overall gpa, and I didn't get into any schools because the rest of my application was very weak. The point is grades aren't everything, I learned that the hard way, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Now i'm working hard to work at a couple of places at the same time to get my HCE hours up, as well as volunteering in the community and do other extracurriculars in addition to new references and a new personal statement. I say you should just take the prereqs you need at a 4 year university, try to take them together so that you can handle rigorous coursework. Possibly find an accelerated emt program to start getting quality hours soon, and keep in mind who you want to write you good references. Volunteer in the community, and do other things to show commitment. If you start this now and work really hard, you could be a very solid candidate in a year and get into a good program.

As far as low GPA goes, most schools will look at the last 60 credits of your GPA is below 3.0 something.

The number of schools that look at the last 60 hours is pretty small.

/edit - Just to further clarify, I meant the number of schools that take the GPA of the last 60 SCH and use that is small. Many schools will give give greater weight to more recent coursework but still use the cGPA/sGPA that CASPA calculates.

Hey, I'm also a senior in college, I applied to PA schools last year with about a 3.9 science and overall gpa, and I didn't get into any schools because the rest of my application was very weak. The point is grades aren't everything, I learned that the hard way, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Now i'm working hard to work at a couple of places at the same time to get my HCE hours up, as well as volunteering in the community and do other extracurriculars in addition to new references and a new personal statement. I say you should just take the prereqs you need at a 4 year university, try to take them together so that you can handle rigorous coursework. Possibly find an accelerated emt program to start getting quality hours soon, and keep in mind who you want to write you good references. Volunteer in the community, and do other things to show commitment. If you start this now and work really hard, you could be a very solid candidate in a year and get into a good program.

rlp14 brings up a fantastic point. When I heard someone with a 3.9-4.0 gpa didn't get in, I used to be like "well if they can't get in with a 3.9, what are MY chances!?!?" This is completely backwards thinking because this person obviously was not rejected for grades. There is a reason why the average gpa of accepted students is not 3.8-3.9...well, for most places. It is because people with below average gpas can still be accepted with phenomenal HCE, and EC's. You just need to compensate for your gpa in a BIG way. You could obtain your emt-b and get your feet wet with some quality HCE. I would volunteer on a regular basis and rack up those hours as well. Oh and I would pull your gpa up to at least a 3.0 since this will open your options dramatically. When I say students accepted with a below average gpa, I mean right at or above a 3.0. BTW I am pre-pa, and have not applied yet, so take my advice for what it's worth. These are just my observations. Good Luck!

PS. if you are one of those pessamistic people on this forum that will tell me I can't make it and I should probably quit while I can please don't respond to this thread but I look forward to telling you I made it sometime soon!

If you are one of those people that attack a straw man when you are brand new to the forum, please don't post a thread. Okay, so I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you understand how that can come off as really insulting to assume that people would tell you that? You are right in that there are those out there, but when you write it like that it forces everybody to read it and feel like you are addressing each individual.

Archived