Pre-PA asking for advice...

Hello all,

I'm a 29-yr-old married mom with a 3 year old son who has Cystic Fibrosis and Short Bowel Syndrome. As you can imagine, these conditions (which ultimately led to my son spending the first half of his life in the hospital with operations and hospitalizations, multi-organ transplant eval and subsequent intestinal rehabilitation) have thrust me in the middle of the medical environment and I've realized I have quite an aptitude for it.

I graduated with a bachelors in marketing management and worked in the field of graphic design for a few years before having my son. I've always had a huge interest in the medical field, but due to crappy parents I believed I wasn't capable of making it in med school of any kind. I was miserable for years trying to do everything to make other people happy, got the business degree my stepfather wanted me to, and all the while denied my dreams because I didn't think it was possible. As I've grown and matured, gaining life experience it's abundantly clear to me now that I can do this and I could be really good at it. My son's docs, nurse friends, and even people I barely know have encouraged me to go for it, saying I seem to have a gift for understanding the medical field and think that being a PA would give me the autonomy and level of expertise that I could do well with.

I'm getting certified as a CNA first, doing some shadowing and volunteering while starting on science pre-reqs for PA school. I plan on working 1-2 years as a CNA, finish up pre-reqs, then hopefully apply for Fall 2014 at 3 schools (University of Oklahoma, University of Colorado with my top choice being University of Nebraska which is our main hospital -all of my son's doctors are there).

I have 3.1 cum GPA as of right now thanks to goofing off in undergrad with a degree I really didn't want, but I have the benefit of still having much of my science pre-reqs left to take and I think I will have no problem doing well now that motivation is there. Best case scenario I can end up with a 3.45 cum GPA and a sky high science GPA and I think that should get me interviews at my school choices.

My son is stable and I don't foresee his condition changing. He rarely has lung issues at all, his CF has seemed to manifest largely with GI symptoms. He will be staying home with a nanny while I'm in school and my husband, who is very supportive of all of this, will be around a lot too.

Thoughts? Advice? Chances of getting in?

BTW... I've been to an info session already at University of Oklahoma and I was very encouraged by the current PA students there. One had a 2.8 cum GPA and still got in thanks to a decent science GPA... he was also a non-trad with 1 yr HCE. Another student got in with a 3.2 cum GPA and a 3.4 sci GPA with zero HCE. Not saying I would apply with no HCE... I think that would be doing myself and the school a disservice, but I found their circumstances encouraging. I plan on visiting University of Nebraska in April or May when Campus visits resume.

I'm hoping to matriculate during Fall of 2014 too. If it ever seems like a long journey for you (as it does for me quite often), just hang in there. I take it one step at a time and even little accomplishments can be great accomplishments.

One thing I thought I would mention is that a lot of the schools which I have been interested in only count your HCE up until your application submission. So even though you might be working during the entire time after your submit your application, it may be what the admission committee is considering while reviewing your application.

I think you have a great story and you should certainly use it. It would be good to see you change "I think I can be good at this..." to "I've shown/proven that I can be good at this" as far as your aptitude goes. It certainly seems that you are on that route...!

And lastly, this is the same thing I generally say to any application who may feel their GPA could hinder them: Shine in every other category.

Good luck

I forgot to mention - It seems like you are set on those schools for various reasons, however, I would encourage you to think about applying to other schools as well to increase your chances of getting an interview and an offer of admission.

At first I felt like I had to go to attend certain schools, either they "felt right" to me or they presented a pleasant living situation. But I'm realizing now that I'm pursing this education, and I'd certainly go to any school that accepts me.

One more quick question. I'm friends with a lot of doctors. Would shadowing experience with them be as valuable as PA shadowing? I am also friends with PAs and even have a relative who is a PA, so it's kind of a given I'll be shadowing PAs too... was just wondering if shadowing surgeons, GI, PC, Pulm, etc. would count much?

No, shadowing a PA would be much more valuable. But shadowing an MD is better than nothing. While shadowing an MD is nice, shadowing a PA shows two things and it shows them on paper:

1) you have a solid grasp of what the profession is and

2) you have realistic expectations regarding what you're getting into

It also gives you a relationship with a PA who can write you a good letter of recommendation.

My biggest piece of advice for you is to apply to more than 3 schools. I have a fairly high GPA and lots of HCE - I applied to 9 and was turned down by 2, and 1 the email somehow got lost, don't know what happened with them. I got invited and/or into my other schools, but the point is, if I had applied to just 3 schools, and it were those 3, I wouldn't have gotten in.

I say go for it. Being a mom and doing schools is tough BUT one big advantage is your kid will be in school by the time you start PA school. That on top of having a solid support system is a good thing. Go for it :).

My biggest piece of advice for you is to apply to more than 3 schools.

That is good advice, but the argument is good/strong on both sides. I applied to only 3, was accepted at my #1 (UW/Medex). It really is an individual decision. I look at it as applying to fewer schools shows the adcom's that you mean business and value their school a lot more than just loading a shotgun and hoping you hit the target. But again, its an individual decision and will differ greatly from person to person.

It seems that you have your head on straight, a good plan and a good support system. Just know that things tend to change once the ball gets rolling with PA school, so be adaptable. My wife was gung-ho ready to move when I was applying, but then got promoted at her job right before I was accepted and we're changing the game plan prn to accommodate. Just be flexible throughout the process. Best of luck.

I would apply to Iowa, but I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in there, so I figure I might as well not bother. A little further down my list is Midwestern U. I guess I'll keep researching. We're really trying to stay within 8-12 hours from Omaha so driving to my son's dr. appts. isn't out of the question.

Anyone know anything about Union College in Lincoln, NE, or Des Moines U? By the way... we currently live in OK. Nothing to keep us here. No family... just friends. My husband's parents live in WY, but have stated they would move wherever we end up. (They are mostly retired). It's even possible that my MIL would be a nanny to my son while I'm in school. Perfect set-up, right?!

I would apply to Iowa, but I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in there, so I figure I might as well not bother. A little further down my list is Midwestern U. I guess I'll keep researching. We're really trying to stay within 8-12 hours from Omaha so driving to my son's dr. appts. isn't out of the question.

Anyone know anything about Union College in Lincoln, NE, or Des Moines U? By the way... we currently live in OK. Nothing to keep us here. No family... just friends. My husband's parents live in WY, but have stated they would move wherever we end up. (They are mostly retired). It's even possible that my MIL would be a nanny to my son while I'm in school. Perfect set-up, right?!

It sounds like there are a lot of things to consider for your son and husband. I would encourage you to find few current PA student on the forum who can give you a good idea of what PA school will be like on a day-to-day basis (and during rotations). I've talked to my other half about PA school and we're getting use to the idea of me being basically being gone during the weekdays. There are people who drive home to see their family during the weekends, and for some it works (those people generally absorb the material really well and have had a lot of exposure through HCE) and for others it can make school very difficult. I have also talked to my other half about rotations, and depending on the school, if I have to relocate for each rotation then I would be potentially gone for that length of time.

For me, school is #1. It will enable me to provide for my family and that's important for me. We're trying to prepare for it and have realistic expectations of how we'll handle school life and our life.

The situation is different for you but I hope that you also get a good idea of what to expect and that you're able to use that to your advantage to be more prepared.

I'm really not sure that schools can see how many schools you apply to. My top choice and another school both asked me how many I applied to. I told them 9 and was still accepted at both. One school even told me "9 is the average people apply to".

Yeah you can get lucky and get into 3 schools. But you also can get unlucky and get turned down or waitlisted by all 3. I had good stats and still applied to 9 - it's just a safety net. Look, worst case scenario is you get into more schools than you anticipated and then have more options to choose from. Best case scenario is you saved yourself money and an entire year in case you only get into 1 school. You don't have to apply to as many as I did but you should do at least 6. Also I was born and raised in OK myself but got the hell outta there as quickly as possible :P.

Hi JM! I am a current student at UNMC.. I can tell you that GPA is heavily weighted for interview selection (much more than experience). I'd work hard to get that up, but I really think you sound motivated enough to do just fine!! If you'd like tips/details, PM me.. I'd be happy to give you more information on the program!

I look at it as applying to fewer schools shows the adcom's that you mean business and value their school a lot more than just loading a shotgun and hoping you hit the target.

I don't think that is generally the case. Applying very broadly shows the adcoms that you mean business, that becoming a PA is your ultimate goal, and that goal supersedes the notion of attending any one particular school. Applying to only a few schools may not have been such a gamble in your case because of your prior HCE as a corpsman and your targeted approach of applying to MEDEX. The OP doesn't have the background to do something like that and should apply more broadly.

I don't think that is generally the case. Applying very broadly shows the adcoms that you mean business, that becoming a PA is your ultimate goal, and that goal supersedes the notion of attending any one particular school. Applying to only a few schools may not have been such a gamble in your case because of your prior HCE as a corpsman and your targeted approach of applying to MEDEX. The OP doesn't have the background to do something like that and should apply more broadly.

Like I said, the argument is strong on both sides and the decision will vary greatly from person to person. I'm not trying to advocate one or the other, just my opinion on what worked for me. I just think of it as once you're at the interview and they ask, "so why our school?"....whats the answer? "Oh, not really interested in your particular school or mission, but it'll do if I get accepted." I understand that's an exaggeration, but you kinda get where I'm coming from. Of course, I've been brainwashed by pre-CASPA PAs that say all day, "Back in my day we couldn't just click a button and apply to 500 schools, etc" lol, so maybe my view is a little biased :)

School numbers weren't the main point of my first post to the OP (since she seems pretty focused and opinions on the matter differ), but being flexible once the ball gets rolling was. Plans and situations are always changing. I think we can all agree on that matter.

Ernie - how are you sure? I have no vested interest in this but am just curious because as mentioned my schools asked me how many I applied to and one seemed surprised as in they had never seen my list before. I also had both schools ask me what were the other schools I applied to.

So which is it? Do all schools always know which schools you apply to? If so, I will seriously​ need to rethink the schools I'm applying to!

All I know, is that during my interview, one of the questions I got was, "We see that you applied to Nova Southeastern Orlando. Since that school is less than an hour's drive from your house, how do we know that, if we admit you, you will not accept that school instead of ours?"

So which is it? Do all schools always know which schools you apply to? If so, I will seriously​ need to rethink the schools I'm applying to!

Why should that determine what schools you apply to? People seem to have this inherent fear that a school will not interview or accept them if they apply to other schools as well. That fear is unfounded. The only thing you would be doing is limiting your chances to get in somewhere.

Archived