Locum Tenens Ortho

I am sure Locums jobs have been discussed in other threads, but I'm gonna start another.  I am a PA with 14 years exp. in both Ortho and EM.  The Ortho Doc I am currently working with will be retiring in the next year.  We live in a small community and the options available without moving are limited or don't feel very stable for long term employment.  I am 52 and plan to work about 10-12 more years max.  We have been exploring available options, most of which will require relocation.  While we will do what is necessary, we really prefer to stay where we are.  I have considered the option of doing locums work and just going for assignments.  I have no experience in this area so don't know what to expect.  My preference would be to stay in Ortho.  Does anyone have any insight to pursuing this option?  Which company seems to take care of its clients best, typical length of assignment, work conditions, salary, etc.?   Any Info appreciated.    

• 1 year later...

I don't have any personal experience with locums, but a friend has used CompHealth for other surgical specialties for almost two years now and has had a good experience thus far. There are plenty of ortho opportunities listed on their website and apparently have even more that aren't listed if you speak to an actual recruiter. 

Typical assignment is 3-6 months, which is usually to cover an employee who's out, busy season, or tryout period for potential permanent placement. The online listings have the parameters outlined, including preferred start date, schedule, call, duties, etc. Some will ask to extend the assignment if they have difficulty finding coverage.

Unless you are self employed every Locums job should come with malpractice. There are way more shady companies than good ones so ask your peers and ask the company a lot of questions. I had one try to place me for 90 days with a neurosurgeon. I know less than zero about neurosurgery. He kept telling me "you can do this. Its just temporary."

Archived