DOT certification, Which class should I take?

Guest Elpatodog

5 hours ago, Cideous said:

Does your state and clinic office let you conceal carry?  Not joking.

I realize this is not a joke, as really the only fear I have ever had since beginning my medical career is a disgruntled DOT physical attacking in the examination room, returning to our office and looking for a confrontation, or waiting outside in the parking lot (potentially with a weapon in all scenarios).  

We are not allowed to carry a weapon in our hospital (and I am not licensed to carry a firearm in my state, though a family member in law-enforcement keeps encouraging me to do so).  

And in response to Rev Ronin... There have been several times I have refunded a patients money for a DOT Examination.  The reason being... I recognize I am not going to qualify them immediately upon reviewing their health history, followed by the driver acts in a hostile/combative manner...

My life is worth way more than the measly $100 our office charges for a DOT examination.  Yes I could call the authorities or hospital security... yes I could report their behavior  and actions to FMCSA... but I feel that is almost pouring gasoline onto a fire.

4 hours ago, UVAPAC said:

I realize this is not a joke, as really the only fear I have ever had since beginning my medical career is a disgruntled DOT physical attacking in the examination room, returning to our office and looking for a confrontation, or waiting outside in the parking lot (potentially with a weapon in all scenarios).  

We are not allowed to carry a weapon in our hospital (and I am not licensed to carry a firearm in my state, though a family member in law-enforcement keeps encouraging me to do so).  

And in response to Rev Ronin... There have been several times I have refunded a patients money for a DOT Examination.  The reason being... I recognize I am not going to qualify them immediately upon reviewing their health history, followed by the driver acts in a hostile/combative manner...

My life is worth way more than the measly $100 our office charges for a DOT examination.  Yes I could call the authorities or hospital security... yes I could report their behavior  and actions to FMCSA... but I feel that is almost pouring gasoline onto a fire.

It's good for you that you have the ability to refund someone you don't pass.  Every corporate UC I have worked at would simply not allow this.  They pay whether they pass or fail.  The seething hatred in their eyes when they walk out those doors failed, or with a sleep study recommendation can be terrifying for my staff.  I've lost count of the "I will be back...." comments.  So yea...prob my least favorite thing to do in UC.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, UVAPAC said:

I get that everyone has to make a decision for him or herself, but I would never work in such a manner.  It's rewarding bad, threatening behavior, and by not failing them, you're helping enable putting these folks back on the road behind tons of powered, high-speed metal.  I really couldn't live with myself for doing that, but I understand that may be the least bad option for your situation.

Bullies don't like being stood up to. I would encourage you to take a course in 'dealing with difficult people' or something similar. Not just to grow your own assertiveness, but also your verbal jujutsu, how to deescalate hostile conversations.

I would also like a "no refunds" policy made by the clinic, and so keep that out of your hands.  Then, you can honestly plead that the driver needs to appeal in writing to admin, who should never actually give money back.

High-stakes occupational medicine is a very different world than family medicine, and it really takes a different mindset.

6 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I get that everyone has to make a decision for him or herself, but I would never work in such a manner.  It's rewarding bad, threatening behavior, and by not failing them, you're helping enable putting these folks back on the road behind tons of powered, high-speed metal.  I really couldn't live with myself for doing that, but I understand that may be the least bad option for your situation.

Bullies don't like being stood up to. I would encourage you to take a course in 'dealing with difficult people' or something similar. Not just to grow your own assertiveness, but also your verbal jujutsu, how to deescalate hostile conversations.

I would also like a "no refunds" policy made by the clinic, and so keep that out of your hands.  Then, you can honestly plead that the driver needs to appeal in writing to admin, who should never actually give money back.

High-stakes occupational medicine is a very different world than family medicine, and it really takes a different mindset.

I still fail them.

Often times I will write "patient taking several medications which are disqualifying.  After discussing this with the patient they did not wish to proceed with medical examination at today's visit."  I will then check off not qualified, and fax to DMV, and upload to FMCSA.

I tell the patients I am doing so, and they are welcome to go to another clinic for a second opinion if they would like...

• 6 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 9:43 AM, Elpatodog said:

I am thinking about becoming DOT certified. I haven't researched it much so I thought I would ask here what class you all would recommend taking to become certified?

Thanks

Yeah, doing DOT physicals sucks! Don't get into them if you can help it. But my urgent care clinic forced us to get certified within 90 days of hire. I did the NADME course, and felt lost for most of it. I was freaking out because a couple of the PAs and one of the MDs in our clinic actually failed it the first time!

A few days before taking the NRCME, a fellow PA suggested DOT Study Guide (*****************) Man, it saved my butt! The NRCME is a weird exam anyway, but at least I have a more streamlined approach to doing the actual DOT physicals. They have a cheat sheet that I literally just keep open on my laptop for reference. They also have audio and video versions, including a pretty useful mnemonics video. It's already a steal compared to what others charge, but use the code "physicianassistant" for 40%. 

Happy hernia hunting! ?

-SammyJ

Archived