DMSc vs DrPh, DHSc

I think it's hard for people to judge unless they have a lot of inside knowledge.  Traditionally, in academia (in science) a PhD and DSc have been considered the terminal research degrees.  PhD being the most widely recognized degree outside academia.

For administration, I don't think anyone would care.   For faculty, it depends on the track. Are you a researcher?  If so, it'll all be about if you can get that K or R grant, not about the degree.   If you're going for education, then it'll be more about what you've done with the degree - what your CV looks like in terms of education. 

Long story short - I don't think people care what you have.

1 hour ago, HanSolo said:

What do you want with the degree? A demonstrated passion and commitment for x,y,z subject will far outweigh the title of the degree.

My focus would be on hospital administration. I believe there needs to be more PAs in these positions.   Likely will also teach PA school at some point. 

Guest HanSolo

Got it. Well, I honestly wouldn’t recommend a doctorate unless you have a desire to perform research. You can teach with your masters, and you could get into admin with a 1-2 yr MHA. Just some options. Of course, there are lots of other things you can do with a PhD! As someone who has gone through the process, though, I can only say it’s a long haul so be sure you have clear reasons for getting on before taking the plunge.

I would consider getting a degree that has the specific focus you are interested in.  In this case hospital administration.  Most PA program faculty positions won't care which specific degree you have, but certainly it could be useful for you personally if you had a focus in higher education or something similar. 

Completely agree there needs to be more PAs in administration.  Sadly, I see far more admin positions wanting RN beyond the applicants name. 

Archived