Lor

I have a question about LOR's. Are we allowed to include 4 on our application? ALso I am deciding between two people to ask. I am an PCT at a hospital and I can ask my ANM for a letter not sure how well she is at writing though or I can ask a nurse who will write me a really good LOR and is really good at writing them. Who should I ask if I am only allowed 3 LOR's?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jen,

One thing you might want to do is write your own letters, that way you can be sure that they include all the relevant stuff you want, and ask the person you've asked for the reference to look them over and sign. This is very much appreciated on their part, saves them time, saves you hassle and worry, and guarantees you will have glowing references! Best of luck to you.

Hi Jen,

One thing you might want to do is write your own letters, that way you can be sure that they include all the relevant stuff you want, and ask the person you've asked for the reference to look them over and sign. This is very much appreciated on their part, saves them time, saves you hassle and worry, and guarantees you will have glowing references! Best of luck to you.

Hi Jen,

Isn't that plagiarism? This method has never set right with me...if you're asking someone to write a letter about you, why would you forge their thoughts/opinions?

Hi Jen,

Isn't that plagiarism? This method has never set right with me...if you're asking someone to write a letter about you, why would you forge their thoughts/opinions?

As I said, you have them SIGN after, indicating they have seen it and approve it. Even Andy Rodican suggests this method in his "How To Get Into the Physician Assistant school of your Choice" book. Re-read what I said. I would never advocate plagiarism.

I didn't misread what you wrote...so if I had you write my paper for english class and I put my name on it, thats okay?

To each their own, but just because Rodican advocates or suggests a method doesn't mean its the golden rule. I get where you're coming from though and I could see how a reference would like the work to be done for them, as they're usually quite busy.

Its just a method that borders a line that I'd rather not cross. Like paul2834 said, if on the LoR that the Adcoms were to read said "written and created by applicant txpsychchick, signed by his/her reference John Smith", would you still feel as comfortable?

As I said, you have them SIGN after, indicating they have seen it and approve it. Even Andy Rodican suggests this method in his "How To Get Into the Physician Assistant school of your Choice" book. Re-read what I said. I would never advocate plagiarism.

I didn't misread what you wrote...so if I had you write my paper for english class and I put my name on it, thats okay?

To each their own, but just because Rodican advocates or suggests a method doesn't mean its the golden rule. I get where you're coming from though and I could see how a reference would like the work to be done for them, as they're usually quite busy.

Its just a method that borders a line that I'd rather not cross. Like paul2834 said, if on the LoR that the Adcoms were to read said "written and created by applicant txpsychchick, signed by his/her reference John Smith", would you still feel as comfortable?

I don't know how things work behind the CASPA scene but I seem to recall an opt in/out choice when it comes to letters of recommendation. One was a choice to see the letter before it was sent, the other was a choice to NOT see it and have the writer send it blind. I was under the impression that having the writer sending the letter directly, without your knowledge of what was in it, was a demonstration of confidence from the applicant's part. I may be wwaayyy off base, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Supposing I am not off base...if you write your own, have them sign it, do you click the box that declines preview before transmission?

Reading through the numerous threads about ways to increase your edge in the PA competition it seems that every nuance is critical. If you write the LOR and they sign it, then ethically you have to request preview before transmission to let CASPA and schools know that you have seen it. But then you lose the opportunity to display your confidence that your letters will be solid... I know if I sat on an AdCom, I'd totally want to know who peaked at their letters before they came in the package. Confidence, either real or "implied" (ok, faked), is a key element in successful health care. The more you have, the better (in my opinion).

The OP reports that they have someone who will can and will write a really good LOR and someone who they are unsure of.. (what is an ANM?) My real question is, why would you take a gamble? I'd go with the sure bet, the nurse who will hook you up the best. Out of curiosity, who is writing your other two? Any PAs or docs?

of course after that I go back and check the dates of the thread... this is probably a done deal already but maybe it'll be good info for the next applicant in similar shoes

I don't know how things work behind the CASPA scene but I seem to recall an opt in/out choice when it comes to letters of recommendation. One was a choice to see the letter before it was sent, the other was a choice to NOT see it and have the writer send it blind. I was under the impression that having the writer sending the letter directly, without your knowledge of what was in it, was a demonstration of confidence from the applicant's part. I may be wwaayyy off base, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Supposing I am not off base...if you write your own, have them sign it, do you click the box that declines preview before transmission?

Reading through the numerous threads about ways to increase your edge in the PA competition it seems that every nuance is critical. If you write the LOR and they sign it, then ethically you have to request preview before transmission to let CASPA and schools know that you have seen it. But then you lose the opportunity to display your confidence that your letters will be solid... I know if I sat on an AdCom, I'd totally want to know who peaked at their letters before they came in the package. Confidence, either real or "implied" (ok, faked), is a key element in successful health care. The more you have, the better (in my opinion).

The OP reports that they have someone who will can and will write a really good LOR and someone who they are unsure of.. (what is an ANM?) My real question is, why would you take a gamble? I'd go with the sure bet, the nurse who will hook you up the best. Out of curiosity, who is writing your other two? Any PAs or docs?

of course after that I go back and check the dates of the thread... this is probably a done deal already but maybe it'll be good info for the next applicant in similar shoes

The "opt in/out" choice you're referring to is the waiver, and that is widely misunderstood. No matter what you select, you cannot view your references via CASPA. Not waiving your right to view the reference only indicates to your schools that your reference wrote the letter with the knowledge you may one day read it, basically inferring its likely less honest of an opinion (or that the applicant had less confidence in the reference) than it would be if you did waive your right, indicating the reference knows you will never see it. If you don't waive your right, you can only read the letter if the reference gives you a copy, or if you get in to school and ask to read it there. If you're rejected from the program, they still don't have to show it to you, and most refuse.

All that said, in my experience with admissions, writing your own letter for the reference to sign is highly frowned upon. In fact, I believe CASPA is moving away from letter submissions in general and only accepting electronic references next year becaus a lot of schools want that extra assurance that the reference and only the reference has access to the reccomendation - something many of the other health professions the company which runs CASPA does apps for have already done.

• 1 month later...

As a former professional writer/journalist, I am honestly shocked by the notion of someone writing the LORs themselves, then asking their reference to sign off on it. That is lazy, that is disingenious, and I'd shy away from any reference who asked me to do it for them. If that's the case, I don't want them as a reference; it speaks volumes about their character, imho. ... Yes, CASPAGoddess, this year, when you input your reference's info into CASPA, you must provide an e-mail address for that person, and within 24 hours, a link is sent to that reference w/password for access to the electronic LOR stuff.

I've perused Rodican's book a few times. Yeah, there's some helpful stuff in it if you're younger, just coming out of undergrad. But for older, wiser, nontraditional students, the book is a waste of time, imo. Have not read anything yet that's given me new insight; it's all common-sense stuff people can find out themselves with minimal sleuthing either on the Internets or with colleagues/classmates. I remain stunned at the recommendation that a candidate writes his/her own LOR and then presents it to the reference.

Archived