better to apply earlier with incomplete prereqs, or later when they're done?

The schools I am applying to this summer have all different policies and prereqs, and its difficult to figure out when the best time to submit the CASPA app is. Do you think it would be best to submit it as early as possible with only 2 prereqs outstanding to let the schools look at it early? Or should I submit it later when the courses are done? I think it may give me a better advantage if I submit it as early as possible? What do you guys think? (for me, early would be may, and later would be july) I would appreciate the opinion of any adcoms or former adcoms that may be on here. Thanks a lot guys.

In my case, I applied while I was still working on my pre-reqs and I was accepted my first time. This was last summer for the class starting in July of this year. I'm in the midst of BioChem, Microbiology, and Organic Chem. As long as they are finished by June 1, I can keep my seat. I can't speak for every school but as far as I'm concerned, I would apply early. They will see you have courses left. As long as you can prove they will be completed by their deadline, you're good.

I agree with all the replies here. Just make sure that when you fill out the CASPA you remember to put the outstanding classes in the planned/pending section. You'll just have to add the class(es) and the semester in which you plan to take it/them. That's really important. I got in to two schools and had several interview invites (declined all but the two) and I had a few classes planned/pending at the time of my application. Actually, I am still taking micro (which isn't necessary for the school I decided on), and orgo (which i will take this summer after I leave my job). Good luck!

I applied with 2 pre-reqs in progress (A&P II And Ochem) as I thought it was important to apply as early as possible. I submitted my CASPA in April (less than 2 weeks after the application opened) and I finished my classes in May. However, after my CASPA application was completed and verified it wasn't mailed to my designated programs until mid June! (this was the first mailing of applications for CASPA, as I contacted them and asked them when they were going to get mailed out).

I was admitted to my school of choice (thankfully!) but I did get a rejection letter from from 5 other schools one of which was A.T. Still University in Mesa, AZ. I had sent them my official transcripts with the grades of my recently completed classes which were finished in May, but when I inquired as to why I wasn't considered for an interview, and how I could make my application better for next year they said that they could not consider those transcripts unless I was given an interview. The committee also mentioned, besides the program being competitive, that if I had all of my pre-reqs completed I would have had a better chance of an interview.

Now I was very blessed and lucky to be considered and accepted at Pacific University, which was my top choice. However it is my opinion that you may have better chances of getting an interview if it shows on your CASPA that the pre-reqs are completed. With the application process being so competitive, it might be a good idea to wait a month and submit your CASPA with the pre-reqs completed, rather than 'in-progress'. Especially because the CASPA applications won't even be sent out until the middle of June, which would be enough time to send CASPA your transcripts and have your application submitted with your pre-reqs completed. Hope this helps!

Yeah I was still able to get interview invites! Its different with each school, some place a heavier emphasis on all the pre-reqs being complete, even though they 'allow' you to apply with 1 or 2 in progress. Others trust you will finish them and the other parts of your application shine and show them everything they want to know to get you an interview. Good luck!

Its different with each school, some place a heavier emphasis on all the pre-reqs being complete, even though they 'allow' you to apply with 1 or 2 in progress. Others trust you will finish them and the other parts of your application shine and show them everything they want to know to get you an interview. Good luck!

Very true. Some of it also has to do with the programs' start dates. For example, Cornell starts in March I believe. They state on the website that you can apply with 1 or 2 prereqs pending, but they have to be complete by the end of the fall semester before school starts. So for me, since I work FT and planned to finish my last couple prereqs in May, that wouldn't work. But other programs just needed the prereqs done by the time of matriculation.

Also, some programs have rolling admissions so they say early is better. Others wait until the app deadline to review candidates. By the time I sent my app to one program, they said the class was basically full. I applied relatively late - Sept 1., but I got invites within a couple months of applying.

What made my life really easy was to create a google docs excel spreadsheet with school, deadline, prereqs pending, etc. so I could keep track of it all.

^^That makes good sense, I suppose for a school with rolling admissions that earlier is better. This is such a tough decision right now. I will have the 2 courses done by the end of the summer, and my grades are very strong, so I'm hoping they trust I will do well in them. Idk tho, hopefully we can get some more opinions...

^^That makes good sense, I suppose for a school with rolling admissions that earlier is better. This is such a tough decision right now. I will have the 2 courses done by the end of the summer, and my grades are very strong, so I'm hoping they trust I will do well in them. Idk tho, hopefully we can get some more opinions...

I'd call your schools up or ask current students when they begin their first round of interviews. Keep that date(s) in mind and make sure to apply a month before then.

Most schools have that information on their website. Some schools say that classes must be complete by the time you matriculate....some say they have to be completed by the end of the fall semester prior to matriculation.....some say they wont consider applications with more than "3" outstanding pre-reqs.....I would research the schools you are looking at and see if the info is on the website and if it isnt, call them. I submitted my CASPA with outstanding pre reqs and had no problems with the schools I applied to........

Go ahead and apply. I am a non traditional student, and went back about a year ago take all the science pre-reqs I never did when I got my degree is psyc in 2006. I applied this Fall when I was still taking Bio 2, Chem 2 and A and P 2, with additional science coursework to complete this spring (since some schools require more than others). I applied to 7 schools, and got an interview at 1 immediately, and then another interview after my fall grades were submitted. I got into 1 of the 2 schools I interviewed at (wait-listed for 2 other schools, and still have not heard back from the rest). There are schools that will like your application for one reason or another, regardless of your outstanding pre-requisites. I start this summer and am finishing up 3 pre-reqs required this spring, and again, at the time of my application I had 6. So it can be done, depending on the school and how strong the rest of your application is.

^^thats definitely a helpful perspective. However, they may have liked you for your HCE or something. I will probably have between 300-400hrs when I apply which isn't much, so I am just trying to maximize my opportunities. How much HCE did you have?

Archived