Awesome Interview

1 hour ago, lkth487 said:

Do you guys even want that?  Like, I feel like it would just an excuse for schools to add more courses and charge more.  Would it help the profession?  Genuine question - I don't really know but I can see it as just further extending training for no real benefit. 

I've thought about this question quite a bit as a current PA student since it may very well affect my future, and I've watched the debate from those who have been PAs for many years. In terms of increased income or increased autonomy, I don't think a doctoral degree will achieve much. There are other areas however, where it may help the PA profession evolve. If you've ever heard the saying "perception is reality", I think it can apply in this instance. PAs are direct competitors with nurse practitioners for jobs, and to the general public (as well as hospital administrators and law makers) there is a perception that since they often hold a doctoral degree, NPs are the more competent or advanced clinician. NPs have doctorates, so they must be better trained than PAs who "only" have master's degrees (unfortunately this is related to the "assistant" part of our name as well). This is despite the greater uniformity in the rigor of the PA training model overall, and the fact that most PA programs require twice as many credits and twice as many clinical hours as DNP programs (and about the same number of credits as other healthcare doctoral programs).

I don't know if it's the answer, but it seems that it's where we will end up eventually. 

The rehab world is where everyone is pushing the clinical doctorate..physical and occupational therapy..I dont think its necessary. I think what we do need is advocacy and support from professional groups.  Physical therapy went to the DPT and most of my colleagues say it really didnt change anything for their profession. It also decreases access to many professions in healthcare that already lack diversity. I disagree with more student loan debt and salaries that wont increase because no one is arguing with hospital systems etc...just by opinion.

Archived