Normal vs not normal : Contract

Hey hey,

I am in roughly 5 months from graduation and starting to discuss employment with one of the Docs who owns a private family practice in rural CO. From the sounds of it he pays his PAs well (my preceptor is making ~$130K with 5 years of experience and a M-Th schedule, sees 20-22 pts per day, good benefits yada-yada). Something my preceptor mentioned was that if he exits his contract early he has to pay the practice $40K per year for the years left on his contract. This makes me quite nervous. I have no problem signing a 3 year contract as a new grad but the thought of paying the practice that kind of money if I leave early terrifies me.

My questions is... is this normal? 

1 minute ago, EMEDPA said:

ow, 40k/yr if you leave...never heard of that...

Okay it wasn't just me, talked to the doc and he made this sound so normal. I understand that recruiting for rural jobs can be tough but that seemed like quite the penalty. Early on in discussions but wanted to get some outsider perspective. Thanks EMED

On 12/10/2017 at 1:42 AM, MCHAD said:

Would he pay you $40k per year for every year left in your contract if he fires/lays you off? 

I like the way you think.  There's no way in hell I would sign that.  I declined to sign a contract with a $10k penalty and thought that was pretty outrageous...

So some clarification. Talked to the doc it is 20k/year if I breached contract. Most of his contracts are 3 years. Additionally, If I was every laid off he would pay me 20k per year for the remainder of my contract. Ironically enough talking to anther PA who works here he said that he would not trust that as the doc has a great lawyer who would wiggle his way out of paying me. So alas these are red flags for sure. 

1 hour ago, Whitcc1 said:

So some clarification. Talked to the doc it is 20k/year if I breached contract. Most of his contracts are 3 years. Additionally, If I was every laid off he would pay me 20k per year for the remainder of my contract. Ironically enough talking to anther PA who works here he said that he would not trust that as the doc has a great lawyer who would wiggle his way out of paying me. So alas these are red flags for sure. 

Walk and let the doctor know as he might change his mind after 5 more PAs walk away from the job as well. Good luck!

On 12/12/2017 at 11:03 AM, camoman1234 said:

Walk and let the doctor know as he might change his mind after 5 more PAs walk away from the job as well. Good luck!

Sadly, he is likely going to get some kid who will sign the contract without reading it.  That's what he wants.  Several of my classmates took the very first thing they were offered, in some cases without even asking about trivial details like compensation and hours.  

I've told the story of my one classmate who took a 70+ hour / week surgery job for $67k; she rotated there after I did so she knew the deal. 

1 minute ago, south said:

Sadly, he is likely going to get some kid who will sign the contract without reading it.  That's what he wants.  Several of my classmates took the very first thing they were offered, in some cases without even asking about trivial details like compensation and hours.  

I've told the story of my one classmate who took a 70+ hour / week surgery job for $67k; she rotated there after I did so she knew the deal. 

But you still need to let him, know as more people tell him and the more he hears it that he might change. 

Archived