Complexity or Acuity of patient population you see and treat

This is something that I have been thinking about a lot lately, as I have some friends in med school rotations speaking on seeing PAs knowledge being that of a residents. I have heard this before but I'm curious of how knowledgeable of the conditions that patients come in with (FM, IM, Cards, EM...etc.) and to what acuity? I would like to know that my SP isn't going to take over on a complex case just because of my credentials and not realize I could possibly handle a complex case. Is this something that with time you've experienced your SP to give you more and more autonomy and higher acuity cases as time went on or were you stuck with the easier cases every time? I know this is relative to the practice and the SP but I'd like to see a consensus. 

That's interesting to hear, because of all of your experience and procedures your team feels comfortable with you doing. (I read that somewhere in a post) There's no reason for me not to try and shoot for it! I see residencies in my hometown where CMC has a teaching hospital and they have EM, surg and some other residencies. I think they share them with the ACNPs, from my research but I could be wrong. I just want whomever I'm working with to feel comfortable that I can handle cases they would see, because if they're busy with someone and another crazy situation comes through I'd want to be prepared and comfortable.

Archived