Offer for New Grad in Family Medicine

Hey everyone,

I am overjoyed to have been offered a position at what seems like an awesome job. Over the interview process I have gotten to know the other providers in this office and think that I will be a great fit. They have also hired new grads before and have a good system of training in place. Just hoping to get some feedback on the offer for devising a plan of attack for negotiating, which i definitely want to do. I'm in the western suburbs of Chicago for reference.

Base Salary: $70,000 (before you freak out, keep reading)

Bonus: $8,400 (12% of base salary)

3 weeks PTO (increases after 2 years)

$1500 CME plus 1 week CME time

Health insurance premium paid 50% by employer and 50% by me, plus free healthcare for my husband if he comes to the practice.

16-17% of salary contributed to a profit sharing plan after 2 years of employment

Note on salary: Yes I know this is low. However, even though it's full time, the position is only 4 days a week, 34 hours, which calculates out to about $44/hour from the base+bonus salary. There is also NO call and NO hospital rounding I would be responsible for, and I only would have to work half a Saturday every 6 weeks. I would be up for a raise after a year. Right now it seems that jobs in primary care are few and far between for new grads in this location, and since I feel like this position is such a great fit, I really want to work with them to find a salary we are both comfortable with. Thoughts on potential counter offers?

I know we all have to sharpen our teeth somewhere but I’m “snot/cough” only w/o call (or during the day for that matter, as well as no patient emails). No weekends/holidays. Two weeks at Christmas not counted toward personal time and the week of 7/4 off each year which also doesn’t count toward paid days. No other major holidays in office. I’m getting six figures annually with no stress and staying late. Yes, I have many years in the game but I think you could do better. It has always been my experience that no matter what role you get hired for, they always find a way to change it, and not to your advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 11/24/2017 at 6:42 PM, EMEDPA said:

who pays licenses, dea, required certs, etc?

will they allow you to work outside the practice at a per diem job?

dental? vision?

They will pay licenses, dea, etc. I am going to get clarification on dental and vision, and if I will be allowed to work outside the practice. I figured I could pick up some urgent care shifts once I get some experience.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:42 PM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I know we all have to sharpen our teeth somewhere but I’m “snot/cough” only w/o call (or during the day for that matter, as well as no patient emails). No weekends/holidays. Two weeks at Christmas not counted toward personal time and the week of 7/4 off each year which also doesn’t count toward paid days. No other major holidays in office. I’m getting six figures annually with no stress and staying late. Yes, I have many years in the game but I think you could do better. It has always been my experience that no matter what role you get hired for, they always find a way to change it, and not to your advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input. I hope to have benefits like that someday as well! I'm hoping to talk to them more and explain that the base salary offered is just way too low based on the AAPA salary report, and hopefully they like me enough to consider my counter offer. I'm getting to the point where I really need to pick a job, and honestly think I could regret turning this one down despite the low salary. This area is saturated with new graduates, especially in the primary care and internal medicine sub-specialties, and I am not able to move at this time. Though I would like to stay and work at this practice for a long time, I know I could switch jobs in a couple years if needed. No non-compete clause to worry about.

Archived