In your opinion what is the max a new grad can throw at their debt

There are so many variables in a question like this that it will be hard to answer, even using averages like COL in a given state/city and average PA salary. Are you married? If so, does your spouse work? Do you have kids to support? Do you already have a car that is paid off? Do you have other financial obligations (credit card or non-educational debt, etc)? 

If you are a single individual, without dependents or any other large financial obligations, and if you don't go out and throw down tens of thousands of dollars on a new car, and if you continue to live like a poor student after PA school, then you can chuck a pretty significant portion of your salary at your debt until it is paid off. Keep in mind that you will be paying between 25%-28% of your salary in taxes each year. Assuming a 100K salary, you can still pay as much towards your debt as you give yourself to live on if you are frugal. 

So even if you don't meet some of the above criteria, living well-below your means after PA school and being wise with your money can go a long way towards paying off your debt quickly. I know this isn't the specific numerical answer you were looking for, and of course I'm still a PA student myself so I don't have direct experience here, but I think the best I can say right now is, it depends. 

Archived