What are my chances

Can you let me know what you think about the strength of my application in regards to the schools I plan on applying to (schools listed at bottom)? Also, if you have any other advice of schools I should look at applying to base on my stats that would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get in on my first attempt. Thank you for your time!

Undergrad: University of Oregon Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biology

Research: 400 hours plant molecular biology research at Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic

when do you plan to apply?: I plan on applying this cycle in April, my first time applying.

PCE: currently 3,200 hours as an on an ALS ambulance (i'm not just a driver, i ride in the back with the patient when they are BLS) of hrs and type of non-clinical

volunteering: 200+ of hrs of

PA shadowing: none as of now (working on it) of hrs of other

Physician shadowing: 8 hours trauma, 36 hours ED physician shadowing

GRE scores: 154q 153v (4 on the written) Science GPA: 3.43 Cumulative GPA: 3.52 Age:23 

Schools(10)

Dream schools (might be a stretch): Iowa, OHSU, Cornell, UC Denver

Schools I think I can get into: UC Davis, Northern Arizona, University of the Pacific

Schools I think I'm almost guaranteed to get into: University of Charleston, Idaho St, FIU

Thanks for your thoughts!

Solid stats, but don't bank on "schools you think you're guaranteed accepted into" unless those schools specifically said so. I was offered multiple interviews from schools where I would have never dreamed of getting an invite to while the schools I thought I had a good chance rejected me. Biggest recommendation is rack up those PA shadowing hours as much as possible to get a better understanding of our profession. I come from a very research based background as well, but do you have any community service hours? Some programs greatly emphasize underserved work so you want to make sure you have that under your belt. 

Yup, PA schools admission is a bag of mixed emotions. The schools you think you have no chance with might offer you a seat whereas the ones you think you have guaranteed seat might say, nah not you.

Shadow as much as you can with a PA. Volunteer with underserved communities (some school value this highly). Also, if you can, volunteer with healthcare related organizations. Finally, continue acquiring those PCE hours. 

Good luck. 

Your stats look good, good amount of HCE, good GRE and average/good GPA. I would agree with above, nothing is guaranteed. Idaho State is deceptive in their admissions process. They use a file score system that takes your GRE score and your GPA grades for their prerequisite classes and comprises a score. They will only review application above a certain file score, typically starts at 5.1 and moves down as they go. Normally only makes it down to 4.8 or so. For them it really depends on what you GRE and prerequisite grades are, if they are average then you likely will not get reviewed there.

Don't get disheartened though. Apply broadly and have a plan to continue to improve your application over the next year or so, that way if you don't get in then you can show improvement for the following cycle.

File Score Calculation:

Prerequisite GPA + (Quantitative GRE Percentile/100) + (Verbal GRE Percentile/100)

Prerequisites:

• Microbiology
  • Biochemistry
  • Human Anatomy (as a single course or as part of a two semester combined anatomy and physiology course)
  • Human Physiology (as a single course or as part of a two semester combined anatomy and physiology course)
  • Statistics
  • Abnormal Psychology (or Developmental Psychology throughout the Lifespan)

Your stats may be competitive, I would suggest calculating your file score for ISU though. Last year they didn't review anyone below a 4.96. If your file score isn't close to that I wouldn't even bother with ISU, it is not a very holistic approach to applicant review.

Archived