Timeline

Hi everyone,

I will be starting PA school in August so obviously a long way out from the hiring process {given all things go well}. However, I just was curious as to the average timeline when it comes to graduating and beginning your first job? I know it will depend on many factors, such as a large hospital system or a small private practice. But assuming I took the PANCE and passed very shortly after graduation and had already accepted a job offer prior to graduation, what is the expected timeline? Hope this question makes sense. Lol thanks guys!

I graduated at the end of August of this year. I moved to a new city after school and have had some difficulty finding a position. I am wrapping up my search now, but credentialing can take up to 3 months so it may be 6 months after I graduated until I start. Some of my classmates just started work in the same city as our school recently, so about 2-3 months of waiting time. 

11 minutes ago, inexperiencedPA123 said:

I graduated at the end of August of this year. I moved to a new city after school and have had some difficulty finding a position. I am wrapping up my search now, but credentialing can take up to 3 months so it may be 6 months after I graduated until I start. Some of my classmates just started work in the same city as our school recently, so about 2-3 months of waiting time. 

What exactly goes on during this "credentialing" process?

2 minutes ago, OneDayPA-C said:

What exactly goes on during this "credentialing" process?

Haven't been through it yet but from what I hear its all onboarding with the hospitals. Verifying that you actually went to school, have your license, background checks, basically just making sure you are who you say you are. Also getting all your privileges to practice at certain hospitals. Just paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork. And a lot of times they only meet once a month, sometimes even quarterly to review all of this. 

I graduated 10 years ago, and every state is a little different, but I had 3 job offers within a week of graduating (including 1 before I graduated). I started working before my official score from the PANCE was back.

Network like crazy during school, and especially during your rotations if you plan on staying in the area. That is an easy way to find a job. If you plan on leaving the area, apply to various positions in your desired locale before you graduate, or at least contact companies that are looking.

Totally depends on where you are looking and in what specialty. Saturation is becoming a real problem in major metro areas. See many recent threads here about jobless new grads.

I graduated in 2012, was hired before graduation, took my boards 2 weeks after, and didnt start work and get paid until 2 months after that. Credentialing, state licensing, etc.

Credentialing at hospitals can take MONTHS. The process is notoriously slow. State licensing can take 1-3 months depending on the state.

I would tentatively plan on 2-3 months after boards before you even collect a paycheck.

As Bruce stated, credentialing can take a long time. That said, if you are at all interested in working in a rural setting, they seem to accelerate the timeline due to necessity. If you are not dead set on working in a more urban setting, definitely consider a rural hospital or clinic. I found that PAs/NPs were valued higher and they tend to treat you better than a more metro facility might.

Graduated 8/25/11 and had already been offered a job pending passing PANCE; got an interim license in my state (you have to have everything co-signed).  PANCE taken 9/29/11, started 10/3/11, results of PANCE on 10/7/11, official license arrived 10/17/11 I think.  I had been offered an ortho job 5 months before I graduated but the salary was a joke.  The job I took was IM.  Both job offers came from places I had rotated.

Archived